Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Check Out This Auction

(35 posts)
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was watching this one to see how high it would go. 8050.00 for one pipe, and it looks like it could have gone higher if the guy who was runner up didn't quit. I predicted the pipe would go for 5500 or so, but I was way off. Check out the bidding history, very interesting.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/350709553568?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

How far can one stuff those bamboo knobs up someone's ...

Well you get the idea.

Come on, Jess make decent pipes, but I still liked his Dad's work better, and while a lot less money, hid work is still over priced.

Sorta like buying a Bentley. A Chrysler 300 drives just as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok - you can't compare a Chrysler 300 to a Bentley, and let me assure you, it doesn't drive just as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. crk69

crk69

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, While I like the pipe, I can't see myself spending that much money.. Even if I had it to burn.... That was a crazy max bid, Hopefully the winning bidder will enjoy it and not set it under glass..

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society
    Member NASPC
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ok - you can't compare a Chrysler 300 to a Bentley, and let me assure you, it doesn't drive just as well.

Assure me all you want, I've driven both and comparing the value of each, the Chrysler wins hands down. I suppose it depends on one's estimation of value.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth - I think you best check your tobacco pouch to make sure it's really tobacco your smoking

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just taking a shot at you Roth - you are of course entitled to your view (as wrong as it may be!)

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It doesn't matter how shiny that rock is, it's still a rock, with experience that becomes much more clear.

After all, what can one do with that rock?

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's like saying all pipes are equal because they all are meant to be smoked. Someone a lot funnier than me once said: "Whoever said that 'All men are created equal' obviously had never taken an army physical."

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

That is magnificent wood, but the shank is too stumpy for my tastes. (Not crazy about bamboo either.)

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. docwatson

docwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rob Cooper is smiling all the way to the bank.

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling---Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like bamboo on some pipes, but still, for $8000, the pipe better come with a willing buxom blonde in a low cut French maid's outfit.

Still, everybody has their own assessment of value, and we all ascribe different values to different things. I am sure I have spent money on things outside of the pipe world that some people would just shake their heads at. Each of us approaches value measurement in a different way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I've taken many Army physicals. Navy ones too. BTW, it has absolutely nothing to do with pipes.

And you know what? One's taste has nothing to do with pipes either, no matter how many we buy or how much we throw money at it.

Because in the end, the amount spent has little to do with true value, which should never be compared to one's estimation. A nugget for thought.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The "true" value of any commodity, my friend, can only be measured in a market - where willing buyers meet willing sellers to determine price.

There is a market for cars and a market for pipes. That market has determined that this pipe is worth $8,000. It also has determined that a Bentley is more valuable than a 300C.

That's not a nugget; it's just the truth.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

That is an insane amount of money for that pipe. I can't imagine that an $8k could ever possibly live up to the price tag. At a cetain point your paying purely for personal satisfaction.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Someone is spending 'way too much time in South Beach.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

8000 for a pipe... In my current situation that my wife would probably make me sell one of my kidneys

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No matter who made it.I think it's just plain silly to pay that much for a pipe.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The runner-up upped his bid about 15 times trying to outbid the winner. He changed his max bid from about $3.5k all the way up to $7,950. And lost. He was probably relieved to lose the pipe (or will be) at some point. That was crazy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He was probably relieved to lose the pipe (or will be) at some point.

+1

I am just amazed someone can afford to spend that much on a pipe.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. daveinlax

daveinlax

Login to Send PM

Usually I would have to wonder about what I assume is a consignment sale. I looked up "88" (china) and this pipe is a very big step up in price for him. I'll assume again the "winner" is a overseas dealer who is confident in a profit.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ok...so I don't want to get into a pissing contest about what this pipe or any other pipes are worth.

My question(s), to you guys who have been at this for a long time, so what is the desirability of this pipe to make it sell for so much? Is the maker / brand a rare artisan? Is there just something about the pipe I do not know as far as grain / craftsmanship / the bamboo?

I think it is a beautiful piece of work, especially how the divot in the bamboo, where it meets the briar, was carried into the briar. This is the epitome of a great craftsman. I just don't know enough about the high end of the market and am curious as what makes the pipe so valuable. I am asking for education, like in art history. Many paintings lately have found their way into a garage sale or Goodwill because many people did not know what they were looking at.

Glenn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dont get it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

eaglerico:

Chonowitsch is a major name among artisan pipe makers. Also, the fact that it is a straight grain means that a number of briar blocks likely had to be sacrificed (or made into lesser pipes) in order to find this one. It's also apparently about a Group 5 in size, judging from the pics.

It doesn't appeal to me personally. But even for a fan/collector, it seems at least $5,000 too high.

Also, even though it shows a winning bid of over $8,000, we don't really know that this deal went through. It's not unheard of for auctions to end like this, only to have the winning bidder renege on the deal.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is little I can add to this thread other than to say...nice pipe, but not eight grand nice (nor is any other pipe on this God's green earth, in my own estimation). I think whoever ended up paying that price is either a serious collector with money to burn, or sees it increasing in value in the near future. Either way, not my place to say someone's a fool for spending that kind of cash on a pipe, especially considering my own history of collection insanity (which I'm now over, I want that to be clear).

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

what is the desirability of this pipe to make it sell for so much?

Interesting question.

I am no expert, but IMHO I would guess it comes down to "collectability". Certainly craftsmanship and beauty of the pipe is a huge part of it, but when it comes to collectors, desire for an object they fancy often trumps common sense (no offense intended to collectors).

The same question could be asked of any collectible. A show I enjoy watching is Pawn Stars (even though I am fully aware it's not reality, but "scripted reality"). Nevertheless, time and time again you'll see things like a pair of sneakers going for $5,000 or a plastic Star Wars toy, still in package, getting $3000.

Is a piece of plastic in a cardboard box worth $3k? Of course not - but it's not about actual value, but perceived value. If enough people want it, that inflates the price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't give a cr*p what kind of pipe it is or if I hit the lottery. I am certainly not spending 8k on a pipe.

Don't get me wrong I think it's a beautiful pipe but I think the price is insane.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's worth what someone wants to pay for it.

If money is easy to come by for you, then you will pay whatever you have to to obtain something you want.

It doesn't mean that the pipe was WORTH that much money. It just means it was worth it to that individual.

Personally it's not my style, and I wouldn't smoke it even if it was gifted to me. I'd sell it off to someone that thinks straight grain is the bees knees.

It's bland and boring.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think that pipe is worth $8,050.00.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I first noticed that pipe it was bidding at $3630 with over 3 hours left. Hopefully the new owner will enjoy the pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I remember, years ago, when works of art sold for what was often considered an ungodly amount of money and mow I look at the history of certain artwrok and find some of those pieces being auctioned, and sold, for 5 even 10 times that amount.

I suppose a collector can argue that a pipe like this is a good investment. I'm just wondering how much is too much to pay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To many people Jess makes the best pipes in the world, so the collectors of them don't care about the price so much as the availability. To these people 8 grand is like you or me spending 80.00 on a pipe. Now I wouldn't think twice about spending 80.00 for a pipe I liked. Jess makes very few pipes a year, brand new ones sell for 5 grand plus so the 8050.00 is not a real stretch. What I found interesting was how the number 2 guy kept trying to find the top number, it would not surprise me if the winning bidder had a 10k top number.

I personally love the look of that pipe, it is right in my wheel house size wise, shape wise and I like the bamboo, it was just a tad out of my price range though( 7600.00 too much) maybe next time I will have a shot at one. lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, I bet the winning bidder thinks he got a deal, and I suspect his top number was north of 10k. What's funny to me is that I'd rather have one of his Dad's pipes, I had Bannard make me one in the spirit of one of Emil's bulldogs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Bidder 2**e bid against himself for 2/23 @ 3 AM until 2/24 at 6 PM. That's kind of curious.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are folks out there who ride private jets. They don't necessarily own them, (Netjets-I think that's the name of one of the leasing firms) they 'share' the ownership with four or five others.

Each ride costs about $35,000 in fuel, staff etc. plus other costs, say from NY to Palm Beach. Of course with this you get your choice of lunch...

I can't imagine how much money I'd need to have to become a member of this type of club.

So, eight grand on a pipe may be chicken feed to some.

Allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   oldreddog, crimsonrat, daimyo