Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Cheapskates mix

(20 posts)
  1. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have noticed, from one of my regular suppliers a pensioners mix made of various sweepings of this and that tobaccos with an added flavouring. While buying loads of small samples I have collected a jar of my own pensioners mix to which i also intend to add all my other bits of cast off tobacco (royal yacht are you listening) and maybe a bit of extra virginia or latakia to dilute it. What are peoples thoughts on this? is adding good tobacco to bad worth while ever? Or shall I just smoke the virginia and chuck the scraps? Anybody had any good results?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mix it and smoke it, I do.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I put all of my leftovers in one jar and mix it up. I call it "Toaster Leavins'"(with a nod to Al Bundy). It's a real Mulligan Stew and very interesting. Have fun with it and write down what you put into it. I didn't and now wish I had.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I do this with VA flake, VaPer, and Oriental scraps...I call it my 'Shop Blend'.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I forgot to mention that I also toss in the oak cubes that come with some of the McClelland blends. They add a bit of something to my melange.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. zanthipal

zanthipal

Login to Send PM

I had a couple bowls of Borkum Riff Cherry from a whole pouch that I was gifted. After two bowls, decided I was done with the stuff and thought about blending it in with other good baccy. Instead, I dumped the pouch into the ceramic crock by my fireplace where I keep kindling and fatwood to start fires. All winter, whenever I built a fire, I got a nice whiff of cherry when laying up the fire, amazing how the cherry odor infused itself into the kindling.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This sounds like a fun idea. I'm going to start a jar right now.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I have started it and its not too bad I have a gwaith hogarth pig tail to use up so a bit of that has gone in also, and as I always say, not as bad as Dunhill Royal Yacht.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my experience, it's hit or miss. I do sweep-up mixes with full rights to throw the whole thing in the
    compost if it isn't tasty. Life is too short to puff your way through a bad batch. Feed it to the compost
    or the roses, along with the coffee grounds. But sometimes you hit it just right. Your penance is, you
    won't ever have that exact mix of random leavings again. But when it's good, it's good.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do that with the contents of my ash tray every morning - waste not want not

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. bulletsnbriars

bulletsnbriars

Login to Send PM

I did this for a while, even crushed up some Swisher Sweets when I mistakingly bought the tipped kind. It was nice until I added a terrible baccy to try and make it better. It ruined the whole thing, and I havent tried it since

So; if a baccy is no good on its own, dont add it to your "whatcha got bacccy". Otherwise, its great.

"Of course you can save money by denying yourself all those little vicious enjoyments for fifty years; but then what can you do with it? What use can you put it to? Money can't save your infinitesimal soul. All the use that money can be put to is to purchase comfort and enjoyment in this life; therefore, as you are an enemy to comfort and enjoyment where is the use of accumulating cash?" -Mark Twain
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What are 'Swisher Sweets?'

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mix it and smoke it, I do.
    +1 Cajun!
    I have a jar of my own "Scrap Baccy"...

"the weez"...
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

condor, Swisher Sweets are machine made cheap cigars that are sweetened with sugar.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I take the leavings of various English/Balkan tobaccos and toss them into an empty 2oz. Cannister and occasionally dip into it usually at night for something different. Maybe it's because it's an unmeasured mixture of everything that I like but I find it to be very good. It's different enough that it breaks from the norm yet it's familiar enough to not spook me off of it. I call it a tobacco casserole.

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 4 years ago #
  16. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

My mother did something similar to that with leftovers from the fridge. They usually ended up as a horrifying version of "shepherd's pie" that should have been outlawed by Geneva convention.

When the steaming mess was plopped on the dinner table, Mom would proclaim that she hadn't yet poisoned anybody, to which I would reply, "Not for lack of trying."

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 years ago #
  17. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@sablebrush52 my Mother was in the habit of doing that as well. I always put it down to her living through WWII and then the rationing post war. I was wrong. It was something people just did. All meat was cooked to the consistency of burnt offerings just in case it might contain a tape worm! All meat was accompanied by lorry loads of boiled cabbage and potatoes - up until the age of eleven we went through six cooks at home due to this dietary insanity. Little wonder my Father was (a) vegetarian (b) ate at his club as often as possible!

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

mcluvinmypipe

Login to Send PM

every time I am done smoking a bag of this or tin of that I throw the remnants into a cornucopia mix of different flavors and blends.I have a bowl of this everynow and then and just love the complexity also it is always mellow so I can mix it with my roll cake which has a bit of a spicyness to it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I started a thread a bit ago on such "Dukes Mixtures." Interestingly, this 'random blending' has led me to the most serendipitous of discoveries--and what I consider my #1 general smoking mix right now.

There is a long 6' shelf in an entry room closet (accessible through sliding doors) that serves as 'pipe world' and includes my cellar stash. I have a stack of small rectangular 4x5" clear glass trays that I use to dip out a bit of tobacco and let it dry out a bit before smoking. Some is always left over, and throwing them together has led to some interesting and pleasurable bowls.

One really hit the big time. There is a local B&M jar mix that I have honed down options as to what it is and am about to confirm as Sutliff 965 Match. Anyway, I had some of this, a smattering of HH Lat Flake, and a tin of SG 1792 that I have been desperately mixing with everything in an attempt to get rid of it. No success so far. Finally these three came together. 2/3rd of the "Mystery", 1/3 1792, and a half flake of HH Lat. Can't get enough of this stuff now--want it more than all the other tasty terbaccies on the shelf.

Then there is the interesting number I am doing with Froggie In The Pond and Capstan Blue...

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well it has been inspirational for me. My mix has included some horrid tobaccos but I am really enjoying it, and am now planning to make some blends to try and suit my taste. Also my mix is very scarce, there are only about 3 bowlfuls left in the world.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   oldtoby, tfdickson, noctivagant, weezell, pepesdad1, trubka2, alexashe, 3rdguy, timelord, jrbjr, ajohnb