PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone,
I'm a really cheap guy (in regards to all things except pipes and tobacco), so when I saw the prices on some of the pipe racks available online I asked myself if there were cheaper alternatives that would work just as well.

I can't recall who said they used egg cartons on a recent thread I posted, but I may venture back to that post and ask them more about it.

Do any of you use makeshift racks? If so, what did you use and how well does it work?

It might just be temporary until I decide to buy one or I may keep it for good but I would just like some examples.

Thanks everyone!

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Look around on ebay you may find one for a decent price. Personally I haven't found one I liked for a price I was willing to spend for it. I think I am going to end up making my own out of some nice hardwood, haven't decided what yet, it will probably be ugly as sin but will work.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just hang in there a while longer Wazny. When your status changes to Preferred Member the Official PipesMagazine.com Preferred Membership Packet will arrive in the mail. Currently it includes an Official PipesMagazine.com pipe rack along with a decoder ring and waterproof tobacco pouch!

DSCN0563.jpg

Oh ya, I almost forgot, you get a large poster of himself, suitable for framing hanging ...on a dart board ! :rofl:

pstlpkr.jpg

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
I made ny own from a piece of scrap pine and some dowel rods and a coat hanger It's pretty sweet only took a couple hours to make holds sixteen pipes and a tobacco jar!

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I liked a lot my father's pipe rack. It was a simple half log of wood, like the one that would go on a fire, and some thick ('coz thicker are less scratchy) nails in the right distance... The nails were painted black with nails polish, and the log had been darkened brushing it with vegetable oil. The effect was rustic but very classy. Can't get any cheaper and I would change my rack for that one...
I'm sure you can find that log for free somewhere, and right nails in any convenience shop. Take my word: That's a nice cheap rack.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Waz, I have been using the egg cartons for some time. Sorry no pics, but the 30 count egg carton bottom is ideal. Pipes sit upside down. Not too much to behold for looks, but ya end up with ten briars to a carton with their backs in the air. Nice soft home. Sold all my pipe racks. Use the 18 count carton also ( 6 pipes). Eggstremely cheap, if ya like eggs. :wink:

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I will have to try the egg carton thing until I make/buy a rack. It has to be better than just lying them on top of the cabinet I keep my tobacco in.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I built this one with scrap wood, stain, and cloth. The only thing I had to buy was a drill bit because I lost the one I needed.

IMG_9252.jpg

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Several of us here have made some pretty nifty pipe racks from scrap wood. My 13-year old grandson made one, with some help, over the Christmas break

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/kids-are-bored-make-a-pipe-rack
Others have used modified CD racks, egg crates, soda crates, etc... it'll all work.
Good luck

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Mick: Your grandson has more talent in his fingernail than me in my whole body!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Thanks, I'll tell him ;-)
I may make a new pipe carver out of him yet... that would provide me with an endless supply of custom made pipes :puffpipe:

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I like the official piperack, but what I'm really here for is that awesome Official PipesMagazine.com Tobacco Pouch. The 5 pockets for different tobaccos is the kicker for me!

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Thanks for the suggestions! Might try the egg carton method as I am not to good with my hands.

Maybe someone would like to make me a rack :)

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Things have gone downhill around here, apparently. When I hit "Preferred Status", I got what seems like was a $50 card to Pipes and Cigars (if I spent $100 first), Bringham sent me a bunch of those filters that I can't use, Altadis sent me about 16 oz. of sample tins, Just For Him sent me a bunch of Middle Earth Samplers, and I got a MM cob and mini cob about 3 months late.
I think I sent that stupid ring back. Wrong size.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
If you look close at the edge of the shelf you will see that I use screwdriver holders to keep the pipes in that I am working on. They were just a few bucks for a package of them, those and some eye hooks will set ya up on the cheap.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I've seen a few guys use the spool holder/rack for sewing but that makes the pipe hang upside down by the bowl which I believe makes the moisture drip from the stem. I would not do it but some guys swear by it. When I was trying to be frugal I made my own out of cardboard and packaging tape. It worked out nicely but then I started buying estate pipe lots and acquired quite a few stands with different lots and decided to keep them. Just keep searching and you will eventually come across them for pretty cheap, it just might take a while.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I did see one on eBay today that I liked, but it doesn't hold too many piles. I like that it has a storage spot for tobacco.

I might get that rack being that it is cheap, and then use my own make shift to hold the rest of my pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.