PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
I am looking for some cheap suggestions for storing tobacco. I am currently storing my 1-2oz. stuff in the plastic bags they came in with each having one of those black, little egg looking humiditor things to keep it fresh. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Cheers,

Jared

thebrokenone

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
The only storing method that I've used are mason jars. I think I picked up a 12-pack for $8-$10 at a grocer. If you're storing for longer term, I'd suggest staying away from the flip-lock type of lids and get the screw-top variety.
It seems like what you've already got is sufficient, as long as you keep the humidor disc in the bag.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I use hinge-top-lid-rubber-seal glass jars I got at Crate and Barrel for around $3-4 apiece. I only buy tinned tobacco and only open then when I'm ready to smoke it, but then it can stay up to a year in those jars and I have yet to find the moisture level changed appreciably. The main reason I like those jars is their mouths are wide enough for me to get my hand inside along with the pipe to fill it. If I was jarring bulk tobacco for long-term storage I would use the screw-top canning jars from Walmart.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Canning jars, either latch-top or screw top are the standard. You can pour the tobacco in the jar, or if you have several small baggies, you can put them in the jar in the bag, but not for aging, just to maintain them while using them up. Some people have recommended Mylar bags and apparently have had success with these. I haven't tried them. Others use snap-top plastic food containers for groups of bulk tobacco baggies and open tins. These are probably shorter-term storage, since the seal is okay but not all that tight.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I'll second the Iwan Ries pouches. They generally give me one when I go there, but I didn't know they were sold. They do a great job of keeping tobacco from drying out.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I use a rubbermaid type plastic tubs to store my open tins. I use high quality plastic jrs with silicone gaskets to age my bulk tobacco. I will not use anything with a rubber seal as I have seen them break down after 8-10 years. This picture shows what I use. The plastic tubs that are opaque with the white tops are for my open tins(keeps tobacco fresh for 8 months to a year), and the big jars with the metal latch are my containers with the silicone gaskets. I bought them both at Walmart, the plastic tubs came in a 4 pack of different sizes for like 6 bucks, and the other ones also at walmart and a 2 pound container sells for 8.79. A 5 pound container is 12.95.

DSC09850_zps2e2256d3.jpg

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Get a large box, put all your pouches and tins in it, and place a couple of humidity pads in it. The cheapest way.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I like the hinge top glass jars and caning jars since they are fairly cheap and available.
Cheers,

Jared

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Went to Walmart today and found a 12 pack of 8oz glass canning jars with lids for $6 and some stick on labels for 80¢ and got all my tobaccos switched over and organized. Great suggestion gents!
Cheers,

Jared

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Amazon has 4oz mason jars, 12 for something like 10.00. they come with stick on labels and I have found it take two to store a 100 g tin.
I have 96 of them holding tobacco as I type this. I have them set up so that I smoke one jar till it's empty, leaving tobacco to continue aging.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
1+ Cortez. I like the mylar bags from IR. They keep remarkably well and are cheap. Larger volumes go into Balls mason jars.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
When you order mylar bags in larger sizes make sure and get the zip lock seals. Heat seal them at the edge. When you open up larger quantities you can belch the bag and reseal it. Once you open it you have retarded the "cellaring effect" but as you empty out tobacco in to weekly amounts you can keep resealing it in an environment with little air. The weight of the cellar is primarily all tobacco. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.