PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmccarthy

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Can anyone direct me to a site where I can find cheap pipes, under $100. Not really looking for estates.
Thanks!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Cheap? How cheap? Really any of the sponser sites here are good. Milan, cup o joes, pipes and cigars. If your looking for good and cheap may I suggest cup o joes, go to Savinelli and click economy pipes. They are good and cheap.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
MrMac, I"ll give you some free advice, learn how to clean Estates. MKELAW pipes has a section of good pipes 50$ or less, good solid pipes, they may not win an Academy Award but they"ll give you a good honest smoke. Most of us didn"t start with the winners we bumped and humped and finally got there, it's a long journey, don"t be too much in a hurry and enjoy the journey.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
http://corncobpipe.com/index.php/smokingpipes.html
You say"cheap" but set the bar at $100? I have not spent over $100 and have some fine smokers. My most expensive pipe was just under $100.it is awesome but my $3 cob smokes awesome and is so much lighter! I love briar but the corn is cheap/inexpensive.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
I am still in the infancy of my journey, and haven't yet dropped the dime on something big. With the help of the people on this site, i might never feel the need to, in fact! (Hell, who am I kidding, the bug has got me, it's going to happen eventually!). Here are some of my finds:
-Cobs are your friends. Buy American on these.

-Mr. Brog makes some damn decent starter pipes. Don't be afraid of the pear wood.

-Cuppa Joe's has some great Savinelli for cheap. Look at the unfinished ones, I have a Canadian I love!

-The Tsuge Kaga from Smokingpipes.com is a killer little nose warmer.

-I have not tried them yet, but I have heard good things about the Iwan Reis house pipes.

-Estates. Seriously, move past the "Ewww! Used" reaction, you can find your best intro into better pipes this way, with a little looking and cleaning.
This at least has been what has worked thus far for me. Any of these options gets you under your Hundo with room to spare for some tobacco easily. Let us know what you find!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You can also use the smokingpipes.com pipe finder or locator. It was a price range section as well as shapes, makers, country of origin etc. filters. I definitely will say estates are a great way to increase your rotation on a budget. If you enjoy restoring things and don't mind a little elbow grease there's a lot of really good briars out there for less as estates.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Second the motion on the Savenellis at smokingpipes.com and cupojoes. Also the Iwan Ries Exclusives at

iwanries.com. These are mostly Benton pipes, and are excellent. You can get some fine smoking pipes

for between $36 and $60. I recommend Savenelli unfinished pipes. They look raw and pine-like, but

after a few weeks of smoking, they turn a golden brown. I have two that are 30 years old and smoke as

well as anything I own, which include some fine Petersons, Johs, Lucicanos, etc.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
+1 on Mr. Brog
+1 on Tsuges and Savinellis on smokingpipes.com
+100 on the Savinelli unfinished
Also, if you are an Amazon user, they have a decent selection available - usually through 3rd party sellers (many of them sponsors of this forum) - unfortunately, the discovery on Amazon is not great for pipes and often you have to know what you are looking for first.
If you are adventurous, there are some awesome pear pipes coming out of the Ukraine - sold by Ukrainian Souvenir or Decor Pipes on Amazon, ebay, etsy (they are handcarved by several different artisans and can be of varying quality). Some folks have had bad luck, others have gotten great smokers - I'm of the positive group, I love my ukrainian volcano.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Brighams are good pipes and their lowest price range pipes are in the $50 zone, and they're good. Their quality increases with the dot system, the more dots the 'more quality' or higher end (also higher price) the pipe is. You can get up to 3 dots under $100. Smokingpipes has them, pipesandcigars as well.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Buying a pipe should be an enjoyable exercise, so I would recommend that you take your time and enjoy the hunt. You cannot go wrong with Savinelli or Stanwell (and even Peterson's, which have been sketchy lately, but still have some nice pipes to choose from).
As for vendors, try smokingpipes.com, 4noggins or pipes&cigars - start searching under these two brands and see what catches your fancy, there's lots of choices.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
-I have not tried them yet, but I have heard good things about the Iwan Reis house pipes
I'll add to that - I've got a couple that are nice smokers. 'Bout to go fill one with SG BBF.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Iwan Ries house pipes are usually Benton or Savinelli. I have one of the Benton's, took forever to break in good. But once it did MAGIC!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cobs are great. Always buy the original Missouri Meerschaum from Washington, Mo. My local independent pipe

shop has them for about $7.50. Online I've seen them for around $10, some less. At the big discount cigar and

perfume place on I-95, I bought my most recent one for $3.99. I suggest buying both a filter and non-filter cob,

at least. Four or five or more aren't too many. I personally don't own the miniatures, which seem too much trouble

for such a short smoke, nor the tall General (McArthur) pipes, though some really like them. The diplomat,

legend, and patriot styles are all good. Anything other than the Missouri Meerschaum is likely to disappoint.

Many of these are just made for souvenirs, not smoking more than once, if that. Just leave them alone and go

for the real Missouri item. They last longer than they should and smoke great from the first match. Bear in mind,

the filter will subdue the flavor somewhat, but it's great for full-strength or tobacco with bite, or when you just

want to tune down the flavor a bit. Filter pipes can be used without filters, and -- I have recently learned, will

accept Grabow, Medico, or Savenelli balsa filters. Imagine that. You can sample the grandest tobacco blends

on earth in one of these little corn cobs.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
All good advise, but for my money I'd go for a Peterson which can be obtained for under $100.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
+1 for Cup o Joes. I like their close out and under $50 section. I just got a great little Savinelli for $39.

Status
Not open for further replies.