Cheap Ageing Jar Prices

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dragonslayer
  • Latest reply from dochudson
  1. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know you can get canning jars at flea markets or garage sales, to me it’s a hassle. Not to mention you’re going to have used lids that will need new seals. Some places the costs where high so I thought this was a good price and they deliver free to their store – ACE hardware. I think you can find them just about everywhere?
    But 12 - 32oz Ball wide mouths are great, and at $13.99 a pretty good price.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4418860

They also have 16oz for $1.00 less.

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

As noted in other posts, I use Ball 8 ounce screw-top jars from Wal-Mart; case of 12 jars is under $8.

Prices are about the same I think at most major retailers. I saw where some retailers (Lowe's IIRC was one) put whatever stock of canning jars they have left at the end of the season on sale instead of storing them or shipping them to a warehouse somewhere for next year.

I found it easier to call the local stores, because the internet "in stock" is too often incorrect for some, especially off season.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still like the wire bail jars better myself. I recently saw some at Ikea that looked like quality and decent prices. I also love these for on the go airtight storage: Mini Airtight Wire Bail Jar. They fit a few bowls worth and are compact for traveling.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I still like the wire bail jars better myself. I recently saw some at Ikea that looked like quality and decent prices. I also love these for on the go airtight storage: Mini Airtight Wire Bail Jar. They fit a few bowls worth and are compact for traveling.

Those are more money than the same size screw-top canning jars, and bail-top jars with silicone seals (like on these from IKEA) are fine, but the bail-top jars with rubber ring seals are often problematic.

Like you said, Sam, those mini bail-tops from IKEA are great for storing tobacco in the rotation that's being opened regularly and for travelling.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't worry too much about the type.

Whatever ever is where I am at with the wife at the time.

Have found adequate jars at the grocery, big box store, dollar store, and craft store.

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can consistently get ball/mason jars, any size - wide mouth, for $10 or under at Walley's/

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   warren, yaboofive, briarfriar, snagstangl, tbradsim1, shaintiques, ae1pt, mmjk, mattsem, hittelusedpipes, mephistopheles, meerqueen