PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I read with some intrigue, and a little confessed mystification, the discussions on a "charring light" and the various pipe loading methods. When I started smoking a pipe, a little over 49 years ago, you got a pipe, some tobacco, matches, and started becoming familiar with the "tools" of the hobby. I had no one around to teach me the various options available to make it easier and more enjoyable. Which, in retrospect, was probably unfortunate. I learned, the hard way, by trial and error, how much tobacco to stuff into the pipe, how much pressure to apply and when, and how to light the pipe. Never really gave it much thought, just did it and enjoyed the results, sometimes more so than others. I think the newer pipers have it a lot easier, with so much information and advice, and I think that's a good thing. I think it's likely easier to get into the enjoyment much faster and develop your own methods and practices with some of the advice now available.
Now for the mystifying part for me: the charring light. I don't really experience it and don't quite understand its purpose. When I light up, probably 80+% of the time the pipe is lit on the first light and I puff away. Sometimes, I do need a second light, usually because the tobacco is a little moist and not quite packed as well as it might have been. Even that, sometimes with a judicious tamp or two, I can keep the fire going.
I have occasionally intentionally tried to barely light with the first match, expecting to get some additional experience, but I just don't realize it. Have also played with different filling methods, but just aren't as satisfied as my own "stuff it" practice. What am I missing? Or am I?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
As for the charring light. . .
I think you might be worrying about something you don't need to. Some people do believe that a blend "comes together" more quickly in the bowl if you thoroughly light the whole surface, allow the pipe to go out, tamp, then relight. I typically do this, simply because it's a habit I've followed for the 30+ years that I've been smoking a pipe. But my palate certainly isn't fine-tuned enough to know whether it makes any difference at all in the flavor. It usually helps with the burn. But I've had bowls where I did exactly as you mentioned: One match to light, smoke for 30-40 minutes, then another match to take care of the final remnants at the bottom.
One disadavantage of all this pipe talk on the Internet and in publications is that folks have to have stuff to write about! :) For instance, who knew that there would be a whole series of articles on how to fill a pipe? So it's easy to be convinced that we need to do Step A and Step B to really enjoy our pipes -- or that only the pipesmokers who do Steps A and B are truly serious about their hobby. It's easy to over-worry about this stuff. Best advice I've ever seen for filling a pipe comes from Carl Weber's book The Pleasures of Pipe Smoking. "Don't be a dunderhead," he says, "and try ramming tobacco into your pipe." Nuff said.
My .02 anyway. . .
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.