PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smokingpipes.com, among others, has worked out a pretty good routine description

of estate pipes and their qualities and shortcomings that seems to offer a pretty good

objective report. A standard observation about given pipes is "charring at the brim," or

"darkening at the rim," or some such. I always think of that when I pick up one of my

favorite briars to pack it. To tell the truth, I don't know whether that is a shortcoming or

a recommendation for a pipe. My favorites all have a little more charring at the brim from

use. Dark stains and dark 'blasts don't show much or any, in some cases. But I think

darkening at the rim may be a recommendation as much as points off. And "lightly smoked"

may not be a plus; there may be a good reason a pipe was not smoked much. Always hard

to sort out the mere coincidence from signs of trouble.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
Lightly smoked always scares me for an estate. It makes me wonder if there is a construction flaw. My best smokers get smoked the most. I've also never traded away a great smoker, regardless of the maker.
Is there a reason that the previous owner traded / sold the pipe without smoking the hell out of the thing? Did it give a sub par smoke so they got rid of it?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Although "lightly smoked" I guess could be a sign of something bad, to me it's just that. Lightly smoked. With the loss of B&M's and the increase of online sales, it becomes harder to really decide on pipes w/o holding it. Almost all my pipe were bought online, and even with good descriptions, sometimes I just don't like the pipe that much in person. I have gotten rid of many a pipe that was "lightly smoked" mainly because too short, long, tall, heavy,or just didn't feel right in hand. Doesn't really mean a bad smoker though. As for rim darkening, I kinda like it. Just seems to fit with the whole pipe thing.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I too appreciate smokingpipes.com writeups on their estates - you can always rely on them.
But I must to admit, I like my rims clean. I am always careful not to burn my rims and am successful most times.
Although "lightly smoked" I guess could be a sign of something bad, to me it's just that. Lightly smoked.
Yes, in theory any pipe that was given up may be a bad smoker, but I've bought quite a few etstates and have had excellent success. My guess is that most who sell off a pipe are for reasons other than smoking quality. They may have to thin the herd or perhaps they're not happy with the shape, etc.
When I've sold pipes it was either due to financial constraints or simply a change in tastes.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Buying online is great for a number of reasons, but until you get the pipe in-hand, you really can't evaluate it. But smokingpipes has gone out of their way in a large manner to lessen the perceptual hurdle.
Their pictures are second to none. They probably have the best pictures on the internet.

They give elaborate specs both in metric and non-metric units.

They thoroughly describe each pipe both in terms of aesthetics and and in its overall physical condition.
There's a reason why sp sells a good deal of pipes. They, more than anyone else, put a pipe on the internet as much in your hands as possible before you actually hold it. If you look at other artisan sites, so much less care has been taken. It's an embarrassment that these products of exceedingly high standards of craftsmanship are so displayed.
If you stop to look over a pipe online, you are at least somewhat interested. If you are still looking 30 seconds later, you are interested. I believe it is at that point, when you're clicking off the characteristics that the pipe has as compared to what you want, the pictures are decisive. sp's presentation of the pipe are enough to actually close the buy decision.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have purchased many estate pipes from smokingpipes.com and I agree that their photos, descriptions, measurements and the telephone conversations that I have had with them are courteous, honest and informative. The customer service at smokingpipes.com is second to none. The estate pipes that I have bought all of been actively investigated and I have not only saved countless dollars, but more importantly have ended up with some real winners. Have you ever had a poor Castello or Savinelli Autograph? Pipe for pipe a Savinelli Autograph are among my best smokers. Not the most expensive, just the best smokers. Just don't tell anyone.
Do not be afraid of buying a pipe that has been lightly smoked. Many pipers have given up smoking, have too many pipes, are upgrading their collection or they may really be from an estate being sold by the family. Whatever, the reason I have never thought twice about my purchases from smokepipes.com.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think SmokingPipes.com lists "rim darkening" on new, unsmoked pipes! From my experience, they pipes are usually better than described.
Several years ago, I recall reading an estate pipe from Mike G at Briar Blues. He had just received a batch of pipes to restore and apparently they had some rim top issues. He implored the readers to not over-pack their pipes to avoid this type of damage. That always stuck with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.