PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I sometimes see seasoned pipe smokers puffing on pipes that have completely charred bowl rims, typically on the side where they light up the pipe. I'd hate to see that happen to one of my pretty Dunnies. Is there a sure way to avoid this or is this the unavoidable fate of every pipe?

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Just be careful to keep the flame from the bowl edge when lighting, and don't use a torch lighter. A bic/match/zippo has a cooler burning flame.

You can clean the black goo off of rims by moistening a q-tip with saliva and rubbing it on the rim. You can also dip a q-tip in coffee and rub that on the rim.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's all about care when lighting. I have a few of my first pipes from over two decades ago with little to no char on the rim.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You can also put a little spit on the rim before lighting it up.
BINGO!
All the suggestions above are good. Moistening the rim before smoking helps protect against charring as long as you don't hold a flame to the pipe for more than a couple of seconds. I always moisten the rim before lighting up. I'm also very careful to keep the flame away from the rim. Use a soft flame, a BIC, or wooden match. If you're going to use a lighter hat is not a disposable, use a pipe lighter.
Whatever you do, light carefully. I have pipes that I've owned for 25 years that have zero char on them.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My preferred method is beeswax on the rim. But, if you forget to freshen up the beeswax, the good old spit trick works fine. Some people may think the coating of beeswax is overkill, but I am an outside smoker, and Southern Arizona seems to get windier every year. I can use all the help I can get avoiding char.

P

pipebuddy

Sometimes what seems like charring is an overbuild of tar on the top on the tobacco chamber because of a lack of maintenance and care.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My preferred method is beeswax on the rim. But, if you forget to freshen up the beeswax, the good old spit trick works fine. Some people may think the coating of beeswax is overkill, but I am an outside smoker, and Southern Arizona seems to get windier every year. I can use all the help I can get avoiding char.
I'm an outdoor smoker as well. I also wax the rim. And I also use a bit o spit as a precaution. I don't think that any of it is overkill.
It surprises me that some collectors will commission a piece, ask for beautiful birdseye around the rim, and then proceed to scorch the hell out of it.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
More common with smooth tops, but as the others said, be careful, don't pack all the way to the top, don't use a glowing charcoal as an ignition source etc etc etc

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But does the ex-financée have a charred rim? Uh, so to speak! :) Unlike humans, pipes just wait for your return, silently, and if one doesn't please you that day, you're onto another.....

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I haven't thought of waxing the rim or the spit trick. The best ideas are often the simplest.
Btw I am using all the restraint I can muster regarding waxing/spitting on rims. On to the next thread ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.