PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've always thought of this pipe as "attractively ugly." Like a Boston Terrier, maybe, or a Ford Taurus.
My best guess is it started out to be a vanilla quarter-bent Dublin, a flaw appeared near the rim so a bulldog-ish bevel was done, then either another flaw was uncovered that made the shaper flatten the sides, or he just wanted to slenderize it because it looked too much like a mushroom after the bevel.
In any event, the final result was a FlatSidedDubDog. 8)
Charatan's policy of only hand shaping, and always chasing grain, could lead anywhere. :lol: Sometimes it bordered on comic relief the same way GBD Uniques did.
That's a good thing, though. The non-pipe-smoking public thinks we're a stodgy, pontificating lot with over-represented facial hair and no sense of humor. (Which is wrong, of course, we're a stodgy, pontificating lot with over-represented facial hair and an offbeat sense of humor.)
Nice wood, unusual grain orientation, and beautiful color (imo).
56.0 grams, 6.5" long
P1020461.jpg

P1020463.jpg

P1020478.jpg

P1020472.jpg

P1020468.jpg

P1020470.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A great analogy with GBD Uniques. Some pipes, and women, are "oddly hot".
This Unique, which sold recently for $175 is not...just because you can, never means you should.
s-l1600.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like the pipe. It's different enough to be interesting and being a fan of Charatan pipes, I'm sure it's a really good smoker.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The birdseye on the bottom is lovely, Charatan certainly had their own peculiar sense of shape and proportion. I tend to consider Dunhill as the arbiter of classic British taste and Charatan as the whimsical yin to Dunhills stodgy yang.

Status
Not open for further replies.