PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm not a Charatan guy because most of them are too large for my taste, but I came across this one about ten years ago that spoke to me in spite of its size. (7.0 inches long, 106.2 grams)
It smokes wonderfully well, and is just the thing for a long smoke with a good book.
It's by far the best-grained Selected I've ever seen, and would place in the top five Supremes I've ever seen. (Charatan's inconsistent grading has been a source of both frustration and amusement among collectors for a long time.)
P1010666.jpg

P1010669.jpg

P1010674.jpg

P1010672.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is stellar. I wonder what the shop said when they unpacked that one and it was only graded a Selected. I guess they were used to the inconsistencies.
That is my gripe with Charatans, most are simply too large for my regular use. I have one mammoth Countryman shape.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've read that Charatan craftsmen did this on purpose (under grading some pipes) when the company was taken over by Dunhill on occasion. Its been said they weren't too happy with the changes.
Mike S.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Whoa, George. That's a beautiful pipe.
I have five Charatan pipes - firsts and seconds - all good smokers, but I know very little about their gradings.
"(Charatan's inconsistent grading has been a source of both frustration and amusement among collectors for a long time.)"
I'd like to learn to more. Can anybody suggest an article with additional information?
Thanks!
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.