PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Been smoking a new olive wood pipe for the last month or so. Decided to give it a rest for a while, so I went looking for something else to smoke and pulled out a nice old Charatan I haven't smoked in a while. I filled her up and sat back and thoroughly enjoyed the smoking qualities of it.

Made me start thinking about the brand as I smoked it. From what I have read over the years these pipes were some of the best made pipes in the world, if not THE best. I didn't pay a lot for these all things considered. I checked some prices for estate Charatans and saw that they still are not extremely expensive. Sure, a few hundred dollars may be too much for some people, but not a lot for the quality you get in return.

I see that Dunhill still commands lofty prices, and yet reading Ivy Ryan's article you get the feeling that the pipe makers at Charatan considered them as "upstarts" and "pretenders". I know, her article on Charatan's Make pipes is controversial. I think that some of the dating she may have gotten wrong, but not the feeling of the old time Charatan pipe makers. There was certainly animosity between the two brands.

Dunhill eventually got even with Charatan in some nasty ways, but the fact that Charatan pipes were hand made in shop as opposed to ordering half finished bowls made elsewhere, and finishing the pipe on machines run on an assembly line and selling them as high quality pipes did irk the pipe makers employed by Charatan to no end.

And what some folks are charging for the products of some of the Danes these days is almost criminal. Also the new league of pipe artisans are making some great pipes today, but certainly not any better than a high grade Charatan.

Anyway, I decided to pull out all my Charatan pipes because I didn't remember how many I had. I came up with six. With all the upscale pipes being made today and the high prices some of them go for, I feel comforted knowing that I am able to smoke some of the best pipes ever made, and still not have to declare bankruptcy to do so.

There are still lots of great old Charatans to be had on the market. If I wasn't retired and on a fixed income these days I sure would pick up a few more. Here is a photo of mine as a realize that a photo is worth more word than I can speak. All of these pipes are great smokers or I wouldn't have kept them. From left to right and top to bottom:

1- Executive 2- Selected

3- Belvedere 4- Supreme

5- Selected 6- Selected

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I saw a picture of a Charatan poker this morning, and fell in love. Now this. Have you no consideration for other people's bank accounts?? :P

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Max, you should read Fred Hanna's book The Perfect Smoke. He has some pics of very high end Charatans and nothing but praise to say about those beautiful briars.

Reactions: OzPiper

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Charatans, particularly the lower grades definitely still fly under the radar on Ebay. I'm too stuck on specific pipe shapes, so the freehand Charatans don't really appeal to me. I only have one on the rack, this "Countryman" shape" has been on my Holy Grail list for years. (it's gigantic, over 90 grams). Charatans do tend to run large, and I've been trending down.
Your six are wonderful and that gets you in the Charatan Collectors Club (5 to enter?). I particularly like that bulldog. I'm guessing that is a Shape 109? (one of the few shape numbers used by Charatan)

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I have one older Charatan Special bent billiard. The only bent billiard I have ever really liked, the stem is bent at a sharp angle which is unique and appealing to my eye, moreso than the traditional gradual bend. The pipe has some phenomenal birdseye as well and smokes great!
050.jpg

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks everyone. As far as joining the Charatan Collectors Club, I probably won't, as I don't see me going to Chicago anytime in the near future. The far future either at this point. But they are lovely, and great smoking pipes.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Philo, thanks for the information about the book. It's one I haven't read. I am in the process of ordering it now.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned 6 Charatans over the years with a Distinction grade being the highest. I still own the Distinction but sold the others. I found them to be decent pipes, but no where near as good smoking wise as my artsian made pipes. The double comfort stems are ok, but not as comfortable as my artisan made ones. The vulcanite they use has way more sulfer in them meaning they are much more difficult to keep the oxidization away. I noticed in every Charatan a large gap between the tenon and mortise making it a resevoir of tar that needs cleaning on a regular basis. In terms of smoking properties, none of my Charatans smoke as dry as my artisan pipes due to the gap between the mortise and tenon and the design of the double comfort stem. Here are a few pics of my lone Charatan.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Those are some lovely pipes posted!
I love my Charatans. I think I am sitting at 6 Charatans along with 2 Tbox Uniques and a Montbatten (Latter 3 made by Charatan).
I am at work or I would post a pic of my stable.
There are also have 3 for sale on this site, one of them unsmoked! I think someone on here should snap those up...!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Charatan Pipes are one of my main focus brands in an eclectic collection of briars. I was fortunate to win the Best Charatan Collection in 2007 at the Chicago show. The pipes I have acquired over many years are not huge in number, probably around 30 pieces but are some of the most amazingly straight grained pipes to be found. The majority of them are Extra Large in size and IMO are some of the finest smoking pipes that I collect. Like Al said in an earlier post, that the lesser grades can be acquired for very reasonable cost and IMO you can't find a more collectible or better grained smoking pipe for the dollar. The history of the Company has always been of interest to me which makes the brand even more interesting. Modern day Artisan pipes are no doubt well made and some are great smokes, but today they are so numerous with new carvers popping up every week you should also find that prices on these will eventually level off and become more affordable. But for the history, grain, smoking qualities, Charatan will always be in the forefront for collectors like myself. Everything in life that people collect becomes quite generational, be it cars, firearms, pipes or whatever. Presently I feel that the younger generations are very interested in modern day Artisan pipes, which is wonderful. Just another avenue to explore in our world of pipes. Just my view.

Cheers,

Andy

Reactions: Papamique

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Harris - I think you are right about the DC stem, and I really don't like the way they look. I would like to believe the mortise issue was from later era pipes. If I collected Charatan's, I would search for anything pre-1960. Every Reuben era pipe I have seen has been gorgeous and very well made with chamfered tenons. Certainly some of the later pipes are gorgeous high grades, Coronations etc, but I would take a older Special, Selected or Supreme over any high grade from a later period.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My Charatan Special, a "chubby pot" shape according to the old Charatan shape chart. I do not know how old it is. I purchased it as an estate pipe in a Georgia B&M in 2009. I like the double comfort bit, but I am afraid to clench it because it is very thin. I thought it was a bargain at $75.00.

CharatansMakeSpecial.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My pipe is stamped: Charatan's Make, London England, Special, 1611. It has a Lane figure stamp as well. According to Pipedia, it was made between 1955 and 1960, at least by consideration of the stamping. No double comfort bits were available before 1960. A likely explanation is that this one has a factory replacement stem, a stem from a different pipe, or was a 1960 stummel fitted with a 1961 stem. Who knows? I think I will smoke it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.