PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
I love Pipes & Tobaccos magazine, it's great that we have such a long-running glossy mag with such high standards.
I've scooped up most of the back issues, but I'm still missing some.
I subscribed recently and my first issue arrived the other day, it's wonderful to get it in your mailbox!
They need our support to continue the grand tradition.
Go ahead and subscribe, you will not regret it!

http://www.pt-magazine.com/

You'll see outstanding articles like the one posted below.
I came across this on a Russian forum, it's a famous article from Vol. 7 isuue 4 (the one with Santa Claus on the cover) and I don't have that back issue yet, so I was glad to see it.
Let this be a prompt for you to subscribe today!

:puffy:
dOjwRao.jpg

1Z6V9D4.jpg

639PgG7.jpg

rfU1UsX.jpg

0kRBNIS.jpg

ofCG17U.jpg

YQnV223.jpg

iJxJNWg.jpg

3T6zFM4.jpg

Z0QwHoO.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Once again you have provided some entertaining and informative tobacciana that was a delight to read. Mr Lane was truly one in a million and it would have been a pleasure and an honor to have met him. I used to have a Belvadere but sadly, I sold it years ago with several other collectables during some very lean times in my life. I now feel motivated to find a few to fill that void. I remember that particular edition of P&T magazine but I don't recall reading this article. Could just be my "sometimers" disease just flaring up. Thanks for all you do Sir!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I'm a charter subscriber and I enjoy ever new issue. A hobby as small as ours is lucky to have a high quality glossy quarterly dedicated to it. We are very fortunate the publisher is a collector. I encourage every one to subscribe. 8O

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks for the post sir. I love Charatans Make Pipes I own 9 myself. I will try to post a pic of them, thanks again.
Take Care.

Mike.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks for the post sir. I love Charatans Make Pipes I own 9 myself. I will try to post a pic of them, thanks again.
Take Care.

Mike.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
That article, while recently presented in P&T, was originally written for his (sadly) long gone The Compleat Smoker magazine. That was back in the very late 1980's IIRC. What's amazing is how new to pipes Tad was when he was doing that publication. Never mind he was creating Three Oaks then too. I had read about The Compleat Smoker when I picked up The Ultimate Pipe Book. I wrote to Tad (regular mail) to subscriber. He replied that it was no longer in publication, thanked me for my interest and sent me a copy of all printed issues, for no money. I've always been a fan. I even have a tin of Three Oaks Syrian open at present.
Mike S.

May 31, 2012
Nice collection there!

Thanks for the photo.

I especially like the pipe at one o'clock, looks like nice birdseye on the bottom!

:puffy:
I guess this would be a good place to post this old video of the Charatan factory...

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E66Cmw3uCqE&feature=youtu.be

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Thank you sir, that is Charatans Make Perfection, that I purchase for 1 dollar at a smoke shop where I live about 20 twenty years ago. I really enjoy anything written about the Charatans history. This is a great forum.
Take Care.

Mike.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Wonderful article--very informative and highly entertaining. I'm the very happy owner of a Charatan Lane era Executive with beautiful straight grain, a Special 372X that I purchased new in the early 1970s for $40, and even a couple of Charatan rejects that I bought as basket pipes. They had some sort of minor flaw that disqualified them from being first-line pipes, but they still smoke like Charatans. It's good to know that the company wasn't particularly consistent in their grading, because all of my Charatans are fabulous smokers. That's why I bought them, and they have never failed to deliver.b

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
That Pathe info-reel is wonderful and answers questions I've long wondered about: how are pipes actually manufactured? What tools and processes are used? Looking at that piece, it's not as complicated as I thought - provided you have the right kit and have been doing it all your life(!). Shame it's not in colour so that we can see the wonderful finishes and variety, but still great to watch. Thanks MLC!
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.