PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
C&D Odessa is 1 of my staples. It is a very well balanced blend of burley, perique, oriental, and latakia tobaccos. What genre would it be considered to be part of? English, Balkan, etc?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Used to be that latakia blends were latakia, VA and Oriental, and if the per cent of latakia was a theoretical constant, those blends with more VA would be called English, while those with more Oriental were Balkan. But that was confusing as due to the English purity laws, British tobaccos had to be this and that and whatever, and these tobaccos were also called English. The definition above held for a few years on the forum in which I then participated, but then exceptions broke the rule, and because I wasn't interested in knowing a new rule about blends that I so little smoked, I lost interest.
Hope this helps-).

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
SaltedPlug gave the best description for what constitutes an English Vs A Balkan. Smokingpipes.com calls Odessa an English. So I guess it's an English. I would say American English. Especially since virginias are skipped out on and subbed with burley. But that's my opinion.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Agree with Perdurabo, American English.
Red Odessa substitutes the Burley with Red Virginia and is the better of the two, imo, of course.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess I'll go look, but is this tinned only or also in bulk? I'd guess tinned... it's both, which is great.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I prefer Odessa over Red Odessa as I prefer burley rather than Virginia in my English/Balkan/whatever blends. In fact, for those like me, Odessa is 1 of the few blends around of that genre which swaps out burley for Virginia.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley is often overlooked both as a base and as a condiment tobacco. C&D is a master at utilizing burley in various unique ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.