PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

magrathean

Lurker
Mar 28, 2015
Lubbock, TX
Greetings, Gents...
I introduced myself in the introduction thread (ironic, no?) a couple of days ago, but wanted to share my experience and ask a question or two in the process. I finally gave into a long time desire, and have been puffing on a pipe for around 6 months, now. I think I did the right thing and started with a MM Country Gent and one of their tobacco blends (Great Dane... a very mild, vanilla flavored aromatic that I would heartily recommend to any newcomer). Since then I have fought a losing battle with PAD and TAD almost daily. I've purchased several small quantities of various aromatics, because that's what I thought I would like the most, and I was looking for that "classic" pipe tobacco aroma that always tickled my nose and attracted me to the hobby... like the animated smoke in an old Warner Bros. cartoon. I sampled several blends that I've enjoyed... Erinmore Flake, Dan Tobacco's SVH and PS Luxury Twist Flake being way up there on my list... and learned much about pipe smoking from each of these blends. Dan's SVH, for example, quickly taught me the importance of slowly sipping, especially those VA blends. Last week, though, I decided to expand my horizons and bought some Frog Morton (orig. and Cellar). THIS was what I had been looking for all this time. I'm assuming it's the Latakia. I was hooked on my first charring light. Now, rather than having a bowl or two at night after the kiddo has gone bed, I find myself craving the stuff all day long... and I haven't had a desire to touch any of my aromatics in days. So I need to reassess my tobacco stock.
Which brings me to my first question. Other than the Frogs, what mild-medium strength English/Latakia blends would you fine folks recommend to a fairly new smoker? I'm not looking for a big nicotine punch, at all, and I'm not that into burleys.
My stuff, so far...

2015-03-30-1913-600x382.jpg

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Pease Chelsea Morning is on the light end, Sextant is richer and has a rum topping. Dunhill London Mixture is also a nice middle of the road blend. If Balkans are OK I would suggest Charring Cross. I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I would explore the world of G.L. Pease a bit...Maltese Falcon and Gaslight come to mind. Also, its a bit stronger, but Dunhill 965 is a classic.
FYI- Frog Morton is kind of its own thing...a lot of people find their sweet spot there...so its either opened your world to lots of new things...or you'll spend a lot of money chasing something you already have :)

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
All of the Frogs are good, though On the Town is my favorite, so I recommend that if you've not tried it yet. For non-Frog choices, I'd recommend Peterson Old Dublin or Nat Sherman 536. Both are a little fuller flavor than the Frogs, but both are well-rounded blends.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hi, and welcome to the forums. I'm sure you'll get lots of info and advice here, so relax and enjoy!
As far as tobaccos that I like that lend more to the latakia side are Mac Baren's Latakia Flake, and McClelland's Blakeney's Best Latakia Flake. I find that both to me are a nice richly flavored latakia blend without a huge nic hit.

For some blends like the Frog Morton series, with a little less latakia, check out the online store called "Just For Him". Two of their bulk blends that I like are Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Whiskey Biscuit Gravy. Crazy names but nice smokes.

Lastly, click on 4noggins.com listed to the left in red, and order some of their Bald Headed Teacher, another nice blend with a little latakia in it.
Cheers, and have fun choosing from all the tobaccos out there! :puffy:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
As sure as death and taxes your tastes in pipe tobacco will change as you evolve as a pipe smoker. Mason jars, labels and indelible markers can and will preserve all your purchases indefinitely and an organized tobacco cellar can become a most valuable possession. If 10 years from now you start popping tins or jars that you've squirreled away all that time, you will be absolutely amazed at how delectible those blends really are. It doesn't take much to start amassing a fairly large tobacco stash and if you store it all properly you'll have a selection of premium smoking mixtures unrivaled to anything offered from a retailer.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Glad to hear your experience is really progressing! As others have said, you may not be DONE with the aro's just found a new level of tobacco. Keep them tucked away, let them age and revisit. Worse comes to worse, I'm sure there are plenty of people around here willing to take it off your hands. I've tried aro's and no-aro's and found plenty I've liked and disliked. Right now I'm on an aro kick, so I'll ride this one till I shift again. It's all about the journey:) However, if you do decide to thin the herd... Keep me in mind;)

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Try Mac B's the Solent. Also SG Squadron leader, and maybe Presbyterian Mixture too.. all great mid-strength english forward blends...... Welcome to the forums!!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Try Mac B's the Solent. Also SG Squadron leader, and maybe Presbyterian Mixture too.. all great mid-strength english forward blends...... Welcome to the forums!!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Squadron leader, Margate, Pembroke, GL Pease Quiet Nights, Gas Light and Jack Knife Plug. Bobs Chocolate Flake is a great crossover and then there SG Luxury Navy Flake, one of my old favorites.
Pax

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Hey brass, I think you should try some of Seattle Pipe Clubs, Mississipi River. Its truly a great tobacco but its not always easy to find cause it sells out fast.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Squadron leader, Margate, Pembroke, GL Pease Quiet Nights, Gas Light and Jack Knife Plug. Bobs Chocolate Flake is a great crossover and then there SG Luxury Navy Flake, one of my old favorites.
Pax
All good tobaccos, but some of them don't fit the bill as to what the OP was inquiring about. Especially the Jack Knife Plug!
The OP (magrathean) wrote:
...what mild-medium strength English/Latakia blends would you fine folks recommend to a fairly new smoker? I'm not looking for a big nicotine punch, at all, and I'm not that into burleys.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Dunhill - The Aperitif

H&H - White Knight

C&D - 5 o'clock shadow
But I would echo the: My Mix 965, Gaslight, and squadron leader

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I'm never really sure how much is too much English, but I sure enjoy Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding. I never get crushed by nicotine, it is fun to smoke, and utterly delicious.

magrathean

Lurker
Mar 28, 2015
Lubbock, TX
I've already got some Shortcut to Mushrooms on the way, and I'm putting together another sp.com order so that I can click 'purchase now' as soon as a check hits my bank tomorrow. More Froggies, plus I was looking at McClellan's British Woods Private Reserve. I had also considered Gaslight, Squadron Leader and Mississippi River as blends that I might enjoy, and you guys have certainly given me a fine list to look into further. I've yet to try anything from Pease... no better time than the present. Most of the others are new to me, but that's why I asked... looking for something new. I'll add small quantities of a few of these to my order and see what I think of them. I can't justify spending a lot right now, but you've given me plenty to think about. Thank you very much, folks, for the suggestions.
@beefeater... no worries, happens to the best of us... if we're lucky :D

@josh... I'll certainly keep you in mind if I decide to unload some... and I'm open to sampling anything that might come my way

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Try Captain Bob's Blend (grape soda in a pipe)
It's actually much like smoking MM965 whilst drinking a grape soda. I find it very enjoyable. If you let it sit around a bit, some of the grape juice becomes pretty subdued, a la mild Lakeland.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
++1 on Dunhill 965 and Mississippi River. I've become to really like my Latakia mixtures and I no longer bother with aromatics (for a long time) as they simply impart no taste/satisfaction whatsoever for me other than smelling nice and leaving a nice room note. Maybe in some mad moment when I feel like taking a chance to waste a wee bit of money I'll kick in for a tin of Captain Bob's Blend, but I seriously doubt so as it it sounds abhorrent! From the description of the toppings it seems as though one might as well drink a Slurpee and then wash it down with grape juice mixed with other sweet condiments/toppings. On second thought, forget it as I've long ago given any hopes on enjoying any type of aromatic other than an occasional bowl of Bagpiper's Dream. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.