PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hottgunn

Lurker
Mar 30, 2013
I have smoked most of the Dunhill tobaccos and a great many of the Pease blends and many others as well. I am now finding I prefer many of the blends I used to consider weak and under stated such as EMP and Standard Mixture among others. I have been keeping my pipes much cleaner these days but I think my palette is either growing more sensitive or it is changing what it prefers. Has anyone else noticed this about their preferences? I have stopped looking for the "perfect" pipe and "Tobacco" Of The gods" Keeping a more open mind and not throwing out any tobacco I at first don't care for. Thoughts?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think many pipe smokers go through a time when they want the tobacco flavor and nic to knock their hat off.

I went through a Five Brothers and Nightcap only phase. A couple fairly subtle Virginia blends talked me off

that roost. These happened to be Orlik Golden Slice and Cup O Joes #5. I didn't abandoned the strong blends,

but got into a much wider rotation. Likewise, after deciding that aromatics were bubble gum tobacco, I went

back and thoughtfully tried some pleasing examples, and decided they needed to be in the rotation too. Pipe

smokers who prefer mostly or entirely milder tobaccos, I can now understand. I still enjoy a full strength blend

now and then, and a nic buzz every few weeks is not a bad thing. But a lot of milder tobaccos have much to

offer, and are often what I want.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have mentioned in previous posts about my continually changing tastes in tobaccos. From starting out with aro's moving to Va's and Va/per's, and then to the English.
My current rotation includes alternating from Va's to English. (I've stopped with the aro's)
The amazing thing to me is how much my tastes have changed in the last year or so.
So, I keep everything and wait awhile to see how they affect me seveal months down the line.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Mine have changed at least twice, I believe experience and improving technique are factors. This is one reason my latest purchase is a one of everything type, I'm looking to expand my experience and narrow down some of the ones that stick out to me.

Jan 8, 2013
I recently did this as well, I bought some Sherlocks Choice about a year ago, and decided english blends werent for me. I recently picked up an ounce of bulk Nightcap, just to see if the stories were true. I wound up going back for 4 more the next night.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I've noticed this in myself many times. Blends I used to think were too weak are now easier to appreciate. On the sadder reverse of the coin, red Virginia that I used to could smoke all day now gives me cotton mouth with one bowl and intense bite if I foolishly try for a second, and perique has started being adversarial on occasion. The worst is that either I or my old favorite (or both) Black Mallory have changed (le sigh).

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I don't know if my taste has so much changed, as expanded since joining this forum. I've smoked a pipe for 6 years, and for the first 4, I primarily smoked PS English luxury. I then went on a Condor binge for a while, mixing it up with Ennerdale to stretch it out, and no longer smoked any English blends. Ever since December, I have primarily smoked unflavored Virginia's and Burley. Hal o the Wynd, Virginia No 1, Burley London Blend and Prince Albert. Due to the shameless enablers on this forum, I went from two pipes and 1 or 2 blends to 4 pipes I smoke fairly regularly, and a couple more I'm working on, plus many blends to sample from. Definitely, my pipe smoking has become more interesting.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have smoked a pipe for many years and my tastes are still developing. Some look for their 'perfect smoke' and find it, however, even these pipe smokers continue to search to confirm their choice I know this is true in my case. The search goes on, however, at least we tend to know what tobaccos that we like and the opposite so are choices are at least minimized a little. The search, even though we have our prime always go to blends, goes on this it what makes pipe smoking so fascinating.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Guys and gals, we are bathing our taste buds in hot smoke, among other abuses! Of course our tastes will change over time. Put it down to becoming more discerning, more discriminating if you will, the fact is as you age, taste sensors diminish and smoking does nothing to slow the aging process.
Blends get tweaked, taste buds die off, sense of smell diminishes, etc. so of course you will experience changes in perceived flavors or palate. There is nothing mysterious about this . . . its simply a result aging and abuse. Don't over analyze the situation, adjust and enjoy the exploration of different tastes and changing tastes.
So look over the palatte of blends before letting the flavors flow over your palate. Then after you enjoy a bowl, go and lay down on your pallet and rest.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
Right now I'm all about VA and VAPERs. Smoked too much Latakia and burned out on it a little. But it all goes in cycles for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.