Changing Filters

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by 4dotsasieni
  • Latest reply from 4dotsasieni
  1. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipes with filters are new to me. Back thirty-something years ago, when I bought most of my pipes, you never saw a filter except in "drugstore" pipes. But now they seem to come with a lot of mainstream good-quality pipes. I even found one in a new Peterson!

My first inclination is to toss 'em out -- but if I do decide to use them, how often are these critters supposed to be changed - every smoke? They sure do seem to get soggy and crappy after even only one bowlful. I don't know if that means they're actually doing something useful, or if it proves that they just gunk up the pipe.

Thanks for your expertise.

"Thus shall you view these fleeting worlds: As bubbles in the stream;
    A lightning flash, a puff of smoke, a phantom, and a pipe dream."
    - The Diamond Sutra (slightly edited for pipe smokers)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I don't use them. If you decide to use them, throw them out once they look bad. They can cause you to puff harder since they restrict the draw a little bit.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'll start by saying I, like 90% of American puffers, don't like or use filters. A fact.

Now, concerning filters, there are a number of filter types. There's probably 6-12 different "Euro type" filters, to use in your Vauen, Design Berlin, Rattray, Peterson, ad nausem. Some make their own filters, again, most of these are European, such as the balsa Savinelli filters. Then there American filters (MM Cobs, Medico, etc.) And let's not forget the Canadians (Brigham's very own maple wood filters).

Oh, I almost forgot -- if you snag a Euro pipe that takes a filter it may take a 6mm, or maybe a 9mm filter.

Ugh.

I have one pipe that takes a filter. A Savinelli Bing's Favorite. The filters, after a year, remain unused. Hell, I don't even use that cute little plastic tube adapter.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

I don't know if that means they're actually doing something useful

They are supposed to trap some of the moisture and other unpleasant stuff in the tobacco. If it gets wet and blackened then it is doing its job I guess.

They need to be changed every 1-5 smoke; you will have to decide when to change them since every tobacco will be different.

I used about 5 of them with my first pipe and then decided I didn't like them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

They need to be changed every 1-5 smoke; you will have to decide when to change them since every tobacco will be different.

Depends on the filter and the pipe.

For example, Brigham Maple Filters last 20-30 smokes, when used as directed. Savinelli Balsa Filters can last one for you, but 3 smokes for me.

The pipes with filters usually comes with instructions. Use only as directed (kidding).

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is that what those are? I thought they were just paper plugs used in long-term pipe storage to keep teensy spiders from crawling inside and building cobby webbies in the shank

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

Depends on the filter and the pipe.
    Savinelli Balsa Filters can last one for you, but 3 smokes for me.

Yes of course, that's why I said he will have to decide when to change them himself.

For example, Brigham Maple Filters last 20-30 smokes, when used as directed.

I don't think we have those on this of the pond so I wouldn't know. Good to learn new stuff though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If they're wood filters, why can't they be soaked in alcohol, dried and re-used?

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

I guess they can but they are pretty cheap, I don't think it's worth the trouble.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have two filtered pipes, a cob and a Medico Ventilator. I don't use filters in the cob, but I do in the ventilator as you have to use a filter in order to smoke it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. keith929

keith929

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two Vauen pipes that use the Dr Perl 9mm filters. After about 3 or 4 bowls the filters are now residing in the back of my drawer. They restricted the draw too much for my taste.

A smart man learns from the mistakes of others.
    A wise man learns from his own.
    ---Anonymous
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. strugglingthinker

strugglingthinker

Login to Send PM

I use filters in my Grabows (vintage), cobs, and Savinellis. If I'm smoking a tobacco that tends to bite (me), I smoke them in a filtered pipe. I ALWAYS toss them after one smoke, despite the recommendations from distributors to use them for 2-3 (or more smokes). I can't stand that soggy, stale, tobacco juice taste. One and done.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used Medico filters in my cobs on two occasions because I forgot to remove them from a new pipe.

I am not a fan... They make the stem smell and leave behind disgusting tar flavours.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

I use a filter only if I'm smoking a pipe that provides too free a draw. In my case it's a vintage Filto, a veteran Shalom DeLuxe and one of my MM cobs. I dispose of the filter after a single smoke.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cedeks

cedeks

Login to Send PM

Most of the pipes in my collection are with filters. I strictly use vauen 9mm filter due to the good results I always get. Have only one savinelli with 6mm filter which I usually use balsa filter for. I only use non filtered pipes with English blends since they are not so moisturized.
    Usually I use the 9mm filter for 2 or 3 bowls if the duration between them does not exceeds 2 days. Otherwise it will start having this funny taste. This rule for me applies for both active carbon and balsa filters. Usually when I remove the filter and notice how black and sticky it is I wonder what happens when all of this go directly into my body and stick more to filtered smoking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

I use the filters in my MM Cobs. I change them when the draw get harder. They work great for restricting moisture.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the good info, guys -- I think I'll stick to having unprotected pleasure.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   acutabovebriar, daimyo, derfatdutchman, dmcmtk, rsuninv, ivapewithfire, brian64, darwin, sablebrush52, dieseltech, wyfbane, phil67, mrenglish, peckinpahhombre, tbradsim1, phil24, trailboss