Changed Up My Coffee Drinking

(62 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Uberam3rica
  • Latest reply from dizzieranddizzier
  1. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I decided to start drinking my coffee black. The decision originally came out of necessity. We ran out of sugar, and I already had my my coffee in my cup with milk in it. I didn't want to pour it out, so I drank it without sugar. It was good, so later that day I had a cup with no milk, and it was good as well. It went great with what I was smoking. I can't remember what I was smoking, but I know I've have had it with coffee before, and found that it tasted better with black coffee. So I decided to just drink it black from now on. I still love lattes, cappuccinos, etc.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love a good latte... No sugar. Used to use the sweet stuff years ago. No longer. Just coffee and a splash of milk. But I enjoy a cup of black coffee too. Nothin' like coffee and smoke!

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Ditto. Coffee and a bowl of P.A. is a well balanced breakfast, in my book.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

When I was young I always had my coffee very sweet. While I was working on my doctorate, the lab had coffee but no sugar. Soon I got used to it that way. Hence forward I never sweeten coffee, and in fact find any form of sweetening makes the coffee less than paletable

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been slowly going to black coffee. I will have to pair it with some nice tobacco soon.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny, I have quit sugar in all aspects of life except coffee. And I was never a big sugar guy to begin with. I will have to experiment with no-sugar coffee. Only problem is I buy cheap not-so-good coffee in deference to my tobacco and alcohol habits... But every Christmas I get a pound of Dunkin Donuts coffee from Mrs Sothron. Mmmmm that's always a good week or so. Then I'm back to the cheap stuff

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just had a cup of 100% Kona coffee with a bowl of Blend #5

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I buy cheap not-so-good coffee

I drink Folgers French Roast. It's good enough for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Mod

Login to Send PM

I rarely drink coffee with cream or sugar...
    But, when I do it has to have way too much of each.
    I like a good latte or espresso too.
    And, can't forget a good old Türk kahvesi. (of course that is sweet)

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eight O'Clock coffee strong and black. Goes great with everything! - bp

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I rarely drink coffee with cream or sugar...
    But, when I do it has to have way too much of each.

Ha! If I find myself at a Dunkin Donuts, I go cream and sugar! Nowhere else.... DD puts me in a desert frame of mind I guess. It's the only time I add sugar. Weird...

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black coffee is best for me. Some people may find it puritanical, but I think it is a waste to soil a good brew with loads of milk and sugar.

Instant coffee pretty much requires a generous helping of both to offset the intense bitterness, but I generally treat that as an option of last resort.

Anyway, it is an acquired taste so if you never try a couple mugs of black coffee you will never get to like it.

I wasn't fond of it because I was so used to the instant/industrial/economy versions that I found drinking it black repulsive for many years.

It was only after I tried a very nice and fresh Cuban dark roast one day with very mild acidity that I realized the flavour potential that a black cup of coffee can have...

I never looked back.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Instant coffee pretty much requires a generous helping of both to offset the intense bitterness, but I generally treat that as an option of last resort.

Starbucks instant coffee is rather good as far as instant coffee goes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black coffee is the only way to go for me EXCEPT, on a hot day I enjoy an iced vanilla, caramel, mocha, frappiatuccino fru-fru somethin' er other.

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Coffee and a bowl of P.A. is a well balanced breakfast, in my book.

Now you're talkin'.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Uber, I have never had Starbucks Instant Coffee so I can't comment.

One thing is for sure, though, I think that their negative nickname - Charbucks - is right on the money.

Starbucks roasts some of their blends into oblivion and I do not enjoy the burnt result.

They are hugely popular so millions of people must like it, but not me...

(Maybe some of the lighter blends are better, but I found I couldn't drink the last Dark Roast I tried from there. The coffee shop down the street from me is a humble local outfit; I usually just buy from them when I get a cup to go))

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was in college my study partners drank their coffee black and I used cream and sugar. Every time it was their turn to get a new round of coffee while pulling and all nighter they would bring mine back black saying it took to much time to add the cream and sugar. I finally gave up and now I drink my coffee black by choice. Garry Owen!

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've heard about people putting milk and sugar in their coffee, but I always thought it was a joke, never believed it happened in reality....

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

I've always drank black coffee, you know its bad coffee when I add sugar to it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I go backvand forth. Usually just a little of both cream and sugar, but sometimes I can do black.

Actually we have terrible coffee at work, and no cream so if I can down that, I should just drink it black all of the time!

Has anyone ever tried smoking pipes' coffees? Kinda pricey, but are they good for an every now and then treat?

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm a black coffee drinker myself, just lazy early on and it stuck.

I bought a couple of pipes from a gentleman in NJ who is a real coffee aficionado. He grinds beans purchased in NYC and either drips thru a hand funnel with (water boiled on the stove!) or in a press. He uses this vendor in NYC:
    https://www.orensdailyroast.com/index.aspx

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. bubblehead33

bubblehead33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm like a lot of you, used to use loads of cream and sugar but since i bought a Keurig machine i've been experimenting with just black. Love it now! Sometimes use a touch of sugar but mostly just black. It does go very well with a pipe too. I'm heading into town later on, will have to restock my supplies.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No sugar, but 1/2&1/2, never sugar. Used to drink it black back in my destroyer sailor days. I luv 8 O'clock coffee, but my wife demands that we only buy Chock Full O' Nuts.

Russ
    Pipe smoking is true relaxation. Everything else is work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The usual is Starbucks house blend black with 2 level teaspoons of Florida Crystals. I like the unrefined cane sugar. It adds a caramely-molasses like flavor to the brew that I like.

Lately I've been drinking a blend called Intense French by Cameron's. The stuff is awesome and blows away Starbucks French roast.

Occasionally I will go straight black with no sugar but that's only after I've had a cup two already. Never cream or milk. Like some of the other posters I think milk masks all the subtle flavors of the bean.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been working on getting my methods down for the perfect cup of Turkish coffee now for a few weeks. It's a relaxing weekend ritual. I get my pipe and my tobacco picked out. (lately Marlin Flake) I get my Ibrik and start my coffee (no sugar, no spices), then after I pour my cup I let it settle and cool a bit while I pack and light my pipe. By the time I've settled into my pipe the coffee is able to be sipped and it's "Dad's quiet time" in the office.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

A friend of mine got into roasting and grinding his own coffee blends and I very much enjoyed drinking those without any cream or sugar, buuuuuut he decided to be a dirty hippie and move to Colorado.... back to Folgers... sigh...."I'm going back to school" he says "there I have a medical marijuana card" he says..... damned dirty hippies...

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. acaciavet

acaciavet

Login to Send PM

I am a Truck Drivers son.I grew up on Black Coffee and good Home Cookin.Miss ya Dad

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Starbucks roasts some of their blends into oblivion and I do not enjoy the burnt result.

I attended a coffee roasting seminar at a factory in Sandpoint, Idaho a few years back. They referred to Starbucks as "Charbucks". I don't care for dark roasted coffee for every day drinking. The only exceptions being in a latte or with a good flake tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. jbbaldwin

jbbaldwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My friend says he likes his coffee "black, like my soul."

- Write if you get work.

- Hang by your thumbs.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I don't care for dark roasted coffee for every day drinking

I do. I like dark roasts, but am not a fan of Starbucks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. jwp159

jwp159

Login to Send PM

[quote]Coffee and a bowl of P.A. is a well balanced breakfast, in my book.

+1

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorite coffee now is the Mayorga 100% Organic Mi Cubano whole beans. It is a dark roast but not quite as dark as Starbucks French Roast( which I also drink). I also love Cafe Du Monde coffee with chicory. I use Splenda and cream in my coffee. The only coffee I drink black is espresso, and I like that best with a little lemon peel.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We can"t get our old blends anymore, Community, Mellow Joy, Seaport, so I mix Starbucks Pikes place, and their Expresso blend 50/50 and that is what we drink, I take mine black, wife puts about a half lb of sugar and creamer and calls herself drinking coffee. LOL The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black coffee here too. I used to love the taste of milk and sugar in my coffee but it gave me really awful stomach aches. I switched to black so it would be easier on my stomach and I came to find out it tastes pretty good. I like a lot of the "breakfast" blends by people like Starbucks or even Folgers is good too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. nobail

nobail

Login to Send PM

I'm just cutting back on my coffee consumption, down to one large cup on the way to work. But I have to have extra cream to make it into a food item.

No decaf for me, I just don't get that. What is the point.

Just another Oregon tuna fisherman.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. nobail

nobail

Login to Send PM

I'm just cutting back on my coffee consumption, down to one large cup on the way to work. But I have to have extra cream to make it into a food item.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

wife puts about a half lb of sugar and creamer and calls herself drinking coffee

I know people like that. We had someone come into Mcdonalds and ask for like 10 sugars and a lot of cream in their coffee. I didn't put much sugar or cream in my coffee before. I don't get putting a ton of sugar and cream in. It's like "Would you like some coffee with your cream and sugar?"

I agree. It's like non-alcoholic beer

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Bruggels has a blend called "French Toast" this time of year made by Green Mountain Coffee that is my favorite.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

BJ's Warehouse Guatemalan French Roast here. Comes in big bags (kilo?), I get two every couple months; grind my own for every pot. Sometimes I drink it black, occasionally cream, sometimes 1/2 tsp sugar, I mix it up.

I can't stand Green Mountain coffees; there's some nasty taste that comes through in all their blends. New England makes good coffee. I won't buy Starbucks; the value is just not there for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is hard to find good coffee where I live and I can't easily avail of mail order options.

The local coffee shop I frequent just changed my preferred dark roast and it royally pisses me off.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

So I guess I'll be the one to say I drink my coffee black just to avoid the extra calories cream adds... Though probably put enough sugar in it to make up for it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

I used to drink Jacobs instant with milk and lots of sugar.
    After my diabetes was revealed, I switched to expresso and cappuccino with saccharine.
    Goes great with a pipe!

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black 99% of the time. Wife has a big container of sugar with vanilla beans in it. I cant lie that stuff is good on occasion.

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. undermidnight

undermidnight

Login to Send PM

Yup, I drink mine black. It is always frustrating to go into a coffee shop and stand behind a line of teenagers and 20 somethings asking for a Non-fat, Sugar-Free, whipped cream, and chocolate drizzle Latte. It takes them 5 minutes to make each one.

"Look, can I just get a black coffee to go?"

Jason

Oh yea.. I smoked a bowl of Penzance this past week and was drinking black coffee.. OMG what a wonderful combo. Black House was also complimented by a black coffee.

"The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Always drink my coffee black , started drinking it black when i was in the U.S.M.C.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A refill on my cup of black coffee is always welcome! A refill on my wife's cup of carefully measured specially formulated blend of sickenly sweet and muddy looking crap, is a calamity! -bp

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a sweet tooth, but I like my coffee black.

However the only logical next step is to have the coffee grounds straight, then add the water 4 hours later. Manly.

Matt.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black coffee from a percolator all the time... havent had cream or sugar since I was like 20 years old... that was a VERY long time ago.

However the only logical next step is to have the coffee grounds straight, then add the water 4 hours later. Manly.
    LOL... like a BEAST!

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  49. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've heard about people putting milk and sugar in their coffee, but I always thought it was a joke, never believed it happened in reality....

lol!

I use a little light cream, no sugar. Got very spoiled when staying in Hong Kong. They never heard of half & half. All they had was heavy cream. Have to say, coffee sure tastes nice with heavy cream. It's like a dessert.

So when we returned home, started using lt cream. However, I keep trying to give up coffee - maybe some day.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

Black House was also complimented by a black coffee.

Hmm I will defanitley have to try this out this morning

Always drink my coffee black , started drinking it black when i was in the U.S.M.C.

Same Here, Semper Fidelis!

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. kayak

kayak

Login to Send PM

When I was in college my study partners drank their coffee black and I used cream and sugar. Every time it was their turn to get a new round of coffee while pulling and all nighter they would bring mine back black saying it took to much time to add the cream and sugar. I finally gave up and now I drink my coffee black by choice. Garry Owen!

I'm in college now, and we have a Starbucks in the library. By ordering black coffee, it simplifies the whole process and I get my coffee that much faster.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

I will have to agree with undermidnight, black coffee + Black house = awesome experience!

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black, Black & Black. God bless Chesty Puller!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

God bless Chesty Puller!!!

Amen Mustang! The Man of all Men!

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would wager he is one of the best leaders period, this country has ever produced.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only drink instant coffee; Maxwell House Original, it's very strong. One heaping teaspoon coffee, half teaspoon sugar and a few drops of milk.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  57. dizzieranddizzier

dizzieranddizzier

Login to Send PM

Black coffee is the way to go. If it's too hot outside to drink black coffee ... put it on ice! I love black iced coffee and never can understand why the Vietnamese ruin theirs with milk and sugar ...

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I love black iced coffee and never can understand why the Vietnamese ruin theirs with milk and sugar ...

I don't like it that way. It it's going to be iced I want cream sugar and flavoring. I drink tea the same way too. I drink hot tea with no sugar(sometimes a add a little honey for flavor), and I drink my iced tea sweet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2 words. French Press. Get one and try it that way, it will blow you away.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  60. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

French Press. Get one and try it that way, it will blow you away

My friend has one. I he made me coffee with it once, and it didn't taste any different to me

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love this thread!

I've been in the coffee industry for almost 20 years and am amazed by how many of you profess to drink your coffee black. In the cafes that the company I work for operates only about 20% of the coffee goes out the door black. The rest gets adulterated with milk/cream/soy/sugar/sweetener/cane... and that's before we start talking about lattes and such. I wonder whether being a pipe-smoker comes along with a predilection for black coffee drinking.

When I was a younger coffee snob I used to spout tripe like, "The ONLY way to drink coffee is BLACK." Then I realized I was inflicting my taste on others, and that there was more money to be made with, "Drink coffee EXACTLY the way you like it!"

I drink my coffee black. I love a light to medium roast, most days, but have to say that a fresh and well brewed dark roast with dark chocolate is a lovely diversion.

Happy brewing,

-- Pat

If this is coffee, then please-bring me some tea. But if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
    ~Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  62. dizzieranddizzier

dizzieranddizzier

Login to Send PM

black coffee dark roast from Africa, is my way. I sigh a little when at the shop the darkest roast is from Colombia or somewhere else in South America. I know I'm a snob

I enjoy espresso and french press, but my parents have a Bunn drip coffee machine that I always enjoy when I stay at their house.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   peckinpahhombre, petes03, carytobacco, drwatson, bubblehead33, virginiacob, nurseman, winton, woodsroad, brianlevine, pitchfork, rootling, eaglerico, rsuninv, purplemotoman, mmjk, dochudson, meatballj, edgreen, rangerearthpig, gop1ayoutside, shaintiques, metarzan, yaddy306, bluesmk, crazypipe