PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I decided to start drinking my coffee black. The decision originally came out of necessity. We ran out of sugar, and I already had my my coffee in my cup with milk in it. I didn't want to pour it out, so I drank it without sugar. It was good, so later that day I had a cup with no milk, and it was good as well. It went great with what I was smoking. I can't remember what I was smoking, but I know I've have had it with coffee before, and found that it tasted better with black coffee. So I decided to just drink it black from now on. I still love lattes, cappuccinos, etc.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Love a good latte... No sugar. Used to use the sweet stuff years ago. No longer. Just coffee and a splash of milk. But I enjoy a cup of black coffee too. Nothin' like coffee and smoke!

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
When I was young I always had my coffee very sweet. While I was working on my doctorate, the lab had coffee but no sugar. Soon I got used to it that way. Hence forward I never sweeten coffee, and in fact find any form of sweetening makes the coffee less than paletable

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have been slowly going to black coffee. I will have to pair it with some nice tobacco soon.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Funny, I have quit sugar in all aspects of life except coffee. And I was never a big sugar guy to begin with. I will have to experiment with no-sugar coffee. Only problem is I buy cheap not-so-good coffee in deference to my tobacco and alcohol habits... But every Christmas I get a pound of Dunkin Donuts coffee from Mrs Sothron. Mmmmm that's always a good week or so. Then I'm back to the cheap stuff :(

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I rarely drink coffee with cream or sugar...

But, when I do it has to have way too much of each.

I like a good latte or espresso too.

And, can't forget a good old Türk kahvesi. (of course that is sweet)

:puffy:

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
I rarely drink coffee with cream or sugar...

But, when I do it has to have way too much of each.

Ha! If I find myself at a Dunkin Donuts, I go cream and sugar! Nowhere else.... DD puts me in a desert frame of mind I guess. It's the only time I add sugar. Weird...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Black coffee is best for me. Some people may find it puritanical, but I think it is a waste to soil a good brew with loads of milk and sugar.
Instant coffee pretty much requires a generous helping of both to offset the intense bitterness, but I generally treat that as an option of last resort.
Anyway, it is an acquired taste so if you never try a couple mugs of black coffee you will never get to like it.
I wasn't fond of it because I was so used to the instant/industrial/economy versions that I found drinking it black repulsive for many years.
It was only after I tried a very nice and fresh Cuban dark roast one day with very mild acidity that I realized the flavour potential that a black cup of coffee can have...
I never looked back.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Black coffee is the only way to go for me EXCEPT, on a hot day I enjoy an iced vanilla, caramel, mocha, frappiatuccino fru-fru somethin' er other.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Uber, I have never had Starbucks Instant Coffee so I can't comment.
One thing is for sure, though, I think that their negative nickname - Charbucks - is right on the money.
Starbucks roasts some of their blends into oblivion and I do not enjoy the burnt result.
They are hugely popular so millions of people must like it, but not me...
(Maybe some of the lighter blends are better, but I found I couldn't drink the last Dark Roast I tried from there. The coffee shop down the street from me is a humble local outfit; I usually just buy from them when I get a cup to go))

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
When I was in college my study partners drank their coffee black and I used cream and sugar. Every time it was their turn to get a new round of coffee while pulling and all nighter they would bring mine back black saying it took to much time to add the cream and sugar. I finally gave up and now I drink my coffee black by choice. Garry Owen!

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I've always drank black coffee, you know its bad coffee when I add sugar to it.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I go backvand forth. Usually just a little of both cream and sugar, but sometimes I can do black.
Actually we have terrible coffee at work, and no cream so if I can down that, I should just drink it black all of the time!
Has anyone ever tried smoking pipes' coffees? Kinda pricey, but are they good for an every now and then treat?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a black coffee drinker myself, just lazy early on and it stuck.
I bought a couple of pipes from a gentleman in NJ who is a real coffee aficionado. He grinds beans purchased in NYC and either drips thru a hand funnel with (water boiled on the stove!) or in a press. He uses this vendor in NYC:

https://www.orensdailyroast.com/index.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.