PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I’ve had folks write and ask what do I look at standing at that big pine tree. I’m looking at the tidal millpond off the York River which obviously is fed by the Atlantic Ocean. Being a mere 15’ above sea level may be a problem during storms having that millpond there has made all the difference in the world.
So now that I’ve given you a change of scenery I’ll change to a non bamboo shank pipe, in this case it’s a vintage Missouri Meerschaum Corn Dawg ( sorry the silly person that lives inside my brain just loves making me type it that way!)
These are no longer available and haven’t been for years. This old timer is of a time when the plastic used for the stem was a very hard plastic that would last forever, this one has a diamond shape to match the transition from the corn cob diamond shank.
The previous owner obviously must have love smoking it but sure didn’t take care of it like it was loved. When I got it the interior of the bowl had been scraped with a knife taking no care as to removing just the cake portions of it have been dug into the back of the kernel area and the top of the bowl is kind of sad not being uniform.
I can salvage a good portion of the bowls interior by taking my time smoking it, if I feel it beginning to get warmer in one area then the rest of the bowl, I tamp it tightly and allow it to extinguish.
I could just use pipe mud to repair it but I think a traditional cake breathes naturally than the mud I purchase to make minor spot repairs on the inside of a bowl or bottom if the draft hole is slightly above the bottom which can make it gurgle. Anyhow I though you might like looking at what I look at and seeing this old war horse I’m trying to save.
Oh yeah, 23 y/o McClelland Grey Havens keeping it smokey.

banjo
44786871501_c96fc3a6eb_z_d.jpg

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I wish they'd bring back a diamond shank but seems unlikely. Mb for the 200th cobiversary next yr?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a distinctive shape compared to today's MM cobs, maybe from when the cobs grew bigger, and I really like that stem. You've nursed that pipe along and are getting the best from it. I really enjoy my golden oldie cobs, several of them made "permanent" with Forever stems. It's been a long time since I've thought of them as disposable pipes.

rollinrich11

Lurker
Aug 25, 2018
iz8iTtA.jpg

I was able to get this shank in an auction of a junk drawer. I love the shank and have plenty of smokable seconds. Heated the bowl in the microwave and removed stem and gorilla glued this into it. I had the same issue fishnbanjo, the person didn’t take care of the pipe.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'm jealous of the scenery banjo. Maine is a beautiful state. The plan is to move there soon, but we're looking more Downeast. The areas we like the most are Blue Hill, Deer Isle, Stonington; and areas that are more true Downeast like Rogue Bluffs, Cutler, or maybe even Lubec. I think year-round living gets pretty tough in Lubec, but it's one of the most beautiful areas in the world. Keep it smokey! :puffpipe:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Love the view and the pipe, banjo! I spent about 3 months in Maine several years ago and loved every minute of it. Settles myself up in Skowhegan and had great drives out to the harbors (Boothbay and Bar, or should I say Bah). Ate my fair share of cheap lobster and New England clam chowdah! The clams were great, the whoopie pies fantastic.
I love all the harbors. We got to take a sailing cruise while were there. It was out around Rockland, I believe.
Spent some time down in Freeport to visit L.L.Bean several times. Could not have believed how big their site is down there. Had my first lobster roll down there and it blew my mind to know that the McDonald's sold a McLobster roll, although I bet it didn't taste as good as the others I had while I was there.
Got to drive up to Rangely for some mountain views, headed out to Millinocket to take a moose cruise and ate and drank a lot of blueberry themed food and drinks. It was a fantastic trip and I hope to get back there some day.
You do live in a beautiful state, my friend. I just doubt I could handle all the snow, being from NC and all. Keep on keepin'it smokey!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Mothernature the last 10 plus years of my job I worked for the US Navy Bureau of Medicine and had 4 clinics in the northeast all of which were in Maine, Portsmouth (it’s really on an island in Kittery), Brunswick, Winter Harbor and Cutler. Only Portsmouth remains the others have been closed through a series of BRAC’s.
My previous 20 plus years were at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard where I worked in several capacities over those years from Electronics Industrial Controls Mechanic where we repaired NC and CNC machines down to the component level on their mother boards, tempo positions as planner and supervisor, then a long stint as an Electrical Engineering position in Production Engineering working on Nuclear and Radiological systems until we got swallowed by the Nuclear Engineering Dept.
Made it through 3 reduction in forces head hunting until they decided to totally eliminate technicians and save the Engineers so I did a 1 year stint back at the shop doing what I had done previously plus Computer repairs and LAN troubleshooting until offered the position at Bureau of Medicine. Retired in 2005 and didn’t look back. Be prepared to find a very poor economy in Cutler, make no mistake it’s Gods Country but jobs are scarce and many there commute as far as Ellsworth for part time jobs, either way best of luck.

banjo

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Either didn't know or had forgotten you'd been with BuMed, banjo. Yeah, know about them RIFs & job abolishments too. The AF decided 10-15 years or so ago it only needed one medical library worldwide, so they eliminated all the facilities & people except for one place in San Antonio -- Central Time, M-F 8-5. If you're a doc in Incirlik, Kadena, Aviano, or West Moose Earlobe Wyoming; & need real-time patient-care info on the weekend, take a number, take a seat, leave a message, & we'll get back to you next week. Yeah, seriously. It's why I took my 30 & retired & started looking elsewhere. Love the view, *&* the pipe, diamond shank/stem in particular. Definitely different!
Bill

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I did over 30 years of service with the Navy, 4 years active duty which included a tour in Vietnam 69/70 and close to,27 years as a Government Employee working with the .Dept. of the Navy and later BuMed. While Pease was a viable Airbase I never had any reason to go there except when our bowling league had their annual get together at one of the clubs at Pease.

banjo

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The Wiggly Bridge! Didn't realize you lived in York, Banjo. Our family has gone to York Beach almost every year for nearly 20 years. Cool photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.