PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I noticed something odd in an estate Vauen from SP.Com
it has a slight bump that projects very slightly into the chamber - is highly glossy, like it was harder than the briar when it was drilled
could it be a stone or something embedded in the root?
Trying to consider if I should return it - or if I'm worrying about nothing

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Oh - and if it matters. The pipe has an amazing ring grain on the outside, and the 'pit' if you will on the inside, seems to align with the center of the ring grain on the outside

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
nope - in a box pending my dropping it in the mail. Probably couldn't get a good pic down inside anyway

Are we talking about mm's or a half inch rock protruding? Without seeing it, I find it hard to believe that a rock in the grain of the briar stayed in tact as the drill bored around the rock, without dislodging the rock, nor tearing up the bit. Without further evidence, all any of us can do is guess.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
it might not even be a mm - I think it's a fill (1/4" off the bottom of the chamber!) and it's going back

it's a shame - amazing ring grain on a beautiful pipe

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I didn't catch it was a fill inside the chamber, or have I still got it wrong! A beautiful pipe with a small fill in the chamber wouldn't faze me at all. You'd cover it with cake in no time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a real judgement call. If it annoys/bothers you, I'd contact SP and arrange to send it back before you smoke it. I would probably tend to keep it, since there doesn't seem to be a "process" going on here. It also depends on how many pipes are in your rotation. If you have twenty or more pipes you regularly smoke, it will be a long time before any problem surfaces with this one. If you rotate five or ten, it might be sooner. Personally, I would likely keep it, unless it looks and feels worse than it sounds. I'd be interested to know what you decide, and any further comments -- like, it smokes great for years to come.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I didn't catch it was a fill inside the chamber, or have I still got it wrong!
Sounded like a slight bump on the wall of the chamber. Now if the bump was at the bottom of the chamber and in the center, it was nothing but an artifact from the original drilling of the chamber. I've seen that any number of times. But without images it's really hard to know.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
I have a pipe which had a manufacturer inside the chamber coating (Peterson) after smoking it the coating and a fill on the inside by the air hole fell out.

Like sablebrush52 said it will quickly be covered by cake. I decided to keep the pipe an enjoy it.

Life is not perfect so we just live with imperfections.

Status
Not open for further replies.