PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackop555

Lurker
Dec 31, 2017
Hello all. I recently purchased an unstamped chacom pipe online.i have not received it yet. I am curious as to why it is not stamped. Most seconds i have seen have some kind of stamp. The stem has the cc on the stem. It appears to belong to the pipe. Would just like more knowledge on this subject. Thank you

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The French pipe making industry is competitive and strong. They do a good pipe, both to sustain sales and to not fall behind their competitors. St. Claude is where the briar pipe came into prominence. Dollar for dollar, or franc for franc, you won't do better.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Agreed with Mso, for the money Yes, hard to beat, frankly with any French pipe I have owned and even with those less expensive ones,such as Jeantet,or say Jobey pipes, I haven't ever had any serious quality related issues.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
paulie', Jobey is quite a story. They started out in France, then I think they moved to England, then the U.S., and eventually back in France. So they have French lineage, and they've gone back home, but they are a vagabond outfit historically. I liked Ewa a lot, small pipes, most notably available at Iwan Ries, starting prices at $37 and change, but really nicely done and giving a full-length smoke with flake or plug. I think they were founded and stay in St. Claude, the French pipe-making capital.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Hello,

(excuse me, I write with google translation, because I'm french and speak very bad English... :oops:)
Chacom pipes are marked by an acronym printed in the wood by a small cold press. And by the letters "cc" embedded in the tube.

These are good pipes, not too expensive, like Butz-Choquin pipes (maybe a little high range above).

The main current brands in France of St.Claude (the "homeland" of the pipe) with the brand Courrieu, of Cogolin (the first historic city of the pipe perhaps before St.Claude ...) which she uses an old local heather!
The others often use the heath export of the Mediterranean basin (Italy, Algeria, etc.). :puffy:
Many old brands have disappeared, the fashion of the pipe disappearing ...

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
:)Yes, thank you. I know, I already ordered them 2 pipes.

(This is a well-regarded family shop in France, and they are very fast.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
paulie', my hat is off. Other languages are my nemesis. I struggled through high school French. Passed but audited the last required semester to prep for college. Took the test to proficiency into the last required semester of college French. I could read a novel in a night once I had the vocabulary, but couldn't write an essay or show any conversational skill. Awful. I've done tapes to prep for trips to France, but the French (and Montreal folks) take one listen and shift to L'Anglais. My brother-in-law, from Holland, has strong skills in five or six languages and conversational ability in a few others. Some folks do. If you have the skills, use them; you are so lucky. Had a former Peace Corp colleague who'd served in West Africa and had perfect French. Envy.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Mso489:That what it goes,My grandmother wanted I must learn French at school and so I did,but eventually today I'm forgetting correct writing,not so much Frech speakers around here then I was thinking I may wanna join la Legion Etrangere(the knowledge of French would be more than advisable) for some year but sadly it wasen't to be,instead I enlisted in our national military.Yes Sure enough I've noticed many of Hollanders speak fluently English and French as well, and Swedes are usually very good at English.Have a Nice start of this Year,let wait and see into what it turns,Very Best Greets, Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.