PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Yes I actually bought this peculiar beastie from SP. It's a Chacom Volcano sitter in clown face. It's just peculiar right down the line. The stem is wood sim acrylic, the shank is wood sim acrylic (with a metal tube transition into the briar) and even the base is made from the same material. Most odd. The info at SP stated that it did not take a filter but it actually does, a 9mm Sav balsa job slides right in, although it seems to make the draft a trifle dodgy. It's an estate but except for slight darkening on the inside of the bowl it seems brand new. Perhaps the original owner ran like a deer after the first smoke. It looks severely cool sitting on top of a pipe rack, the grain on the bowl is spectacular, but I'm definitely not throwing away the box it came in.
chacom-volcano.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Man, you did the right thing. When a pipe like that speaks to you, you'd better listen. You could have bought

a more expensive pipe. You could have bought a fancier pipe. You could have bought a more tasteful pipe,

but when a volcano happens, just flow with the lava and do what you do. I've never heard of or seen an acrylic

shank. Debatable, the rather traditional looking Peterson bent brandy B11 shape is a crypto volcano, if you

study it closely. But this is the whole volcano shape full throttle. Congratulations. Keep that box, but keep

that pipe.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I did a Google search and apparently this isn't a one off and in fact came in a variety of color combos. Saints presarve us. One of the pics showed the pipe with a plastic reducer for non-filter use but mine did not make it here with one. Even with no reducer or filter the draw is far from too open.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
The specific name for this pipe is the Volcano Contrast. Payless Pipes has 'em along with a couple of other versions. They are asking $144 which means I got this virtually perfect estate from SP for well less than half that.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Finally nerved up enough to break this puppy in with a nice dry slice of FVF and it is quite the felicitous combo.. I'm one happy camper. Weird as this thing looks I think it's going to be a fine smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.