PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm questing for a poker variant.
I've found older, unsmoked examples of each, $50-70 or so.
Please offer your observations on these two producers.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Definitely Chacom, everything else being equal. Jobey has bounced around to different locations -- France, to England, to the U.S. and back to France. They tend to be more down-market than Chacom, and sometimes offer odd features like screw-on stems. I have a Jobey and I enjoy it, but I have several Chacom's and feel they are quality pipes well above their price points, and done in the grand old French pipe-making tradition. So as a brand, Chacom is a better bet. Choosing between individual pipes is always a personal thing; if you just love the Jobey in question, do that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yoiks, Jobey was located in Denmark too? I don't know how they made any pipes with the moving around.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@mso
I'm not sure when they were made but I'm guessing before the 70's. The two I have were my grandfathers. Nice grain, no fills, push stem vulcanite with brass logos. I'd post a pic but I'm having troubles with the postimage app again. Urrrggg! Wish we could post pics like Instagram.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have 5 Jobey's and 1 Chacom 2014 Pipe of The Year. All are very nice pipes, but my 2 Jobey Shellmoors and my 1 Jobey Stromboli are all better smokers than the Chacom, which tends to smoke a little hot. The Stromboli (aside from my Peterson's) is my favorite pipe.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I thought I'd dig up a necro thread that I started, just to demonstrate my advanced procrastination and delayed decision making skills.
I finally snagged a Chacom today. I can't find much on the series at all, Canaries series, shape 33.
chacom-600x450.jpg

More photos on AUCTION LINK.
I suspect it's an older pipe and that the insert is boxwood. Please correct me if necessary.
I haggled a few bucks off the tag and feel like I got a fair deal.
If anyone can add to my information on it, I'm grateful.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.