PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Anyone else already done the certified tobacconist test? I'm curious about how long it is, how much is covered? I've spent a lot of time concentrating on pipes since I find it more enjoyable than cigars but the tobacconist university is like 90% cigar 10% pipe. So I've got to go back and re-memorize all the important cigar information again so I can take my test.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I purchased the "Tobacconist Handbook" for fun to try and learn a little more about luxury tobacco. Never took the test or anything though.
You're right about it being like a 90:10 split between cigars and pipes though.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Pylorns, It's 105 questions. It's about a 50/50 split between multiple choice and true/false.
Each question is worth 1-point, so a perfect score is 105.
You need a minimum of 90 to pass. You have 1-hour maximum to complete.
As you said, it is heavily weighted towards cigar info, but also tobacco in general, such as growing, harvesting, curing, fermenting, aging - which can apply to both the pipe and cigar side.
One part that usually trips up people is the history section. Many people assume that the history will not be on the test, so they forget about it. There ARE history questions on it.
You have to take the test in person, in the presence of someone that is authorized to administer the test. The only people authorized are Tobacconist University staff, or someone that is already certified. One reason for this is so the test does not get out into the public. You see it when you take it, and then it is immediately returned for grading.
There are a few multiple choice answer options that are quite funny.
I got 2 wrong and scored a 103.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
No. Whoever told you that is full of camel dung. (Why do some people insist on being idiots?)
Here is the Tobacconist University definition:

http://www.tobacconistuniversity.org/tobacco-college/pipe-special-types3.asp

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
samcoffeeman said:

"... the course he took said latakia was smoked with camel dung"
to which Kevin replied:

"Whoever told you that is full of camel dung."
Perhaps the fellow who told Sam that story shared my 'love' of Latakia ... yes, I know it's a favorite ingredient of many pipe smokers, just not of THIS pipe smoker ...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Wait... there's a Tobacconist University? The curriculum is free? Oh dear lord, there goes any spare time I might have squeezed out of life over the next few months. Thanks for the link, Kevin. I'm going to enjoy this.
-- Pat

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Just wanted to point out that the fact about Latakia at one point being smoked over camel dung is true. It was a Pipe trivia question on the radio show. It also is mentioned on several reputable pipe history sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.