PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwgibson85

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Hello all, I have just started smoking a pipe, an absolutely love the entire experience. From the feel of the pipe in my hand, to the taste of the tobacco and the after taste as compared to cigars.
My question is how does a ceramic pipe smoke compared to a briar? Also I have used porcelain to make tea pots, coffee cups, plates and such so would cone 10 porcelain do the job?
Lastly in a ceramic pipe I would assume that the tobacco cavity would be left unglazed to allow for a good char build up, how would I go about finding a tenon mouth piece to fit to my finished pipe?
Thanks for any help.

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Ceramic pipes were a Big thing in Northern and central Europe from early 1800's to WWII. bowl inside was unglazed. Smoke good but hot to touch. that was reason for long stems. Usually made in several pieces. Bowl. shoe or foot, stem, and bit. Bit was usually carved horn, stem was wood or horn.
Check out these.

KGrHqFhcE6bjZ9S85BOtz9DT1uw60_3.jpg

KGrHqUOKiUE5hKZ6MP3BOgys-ee60_3.jpg

KGrHqRiIE5dhgILgKBOe4ssQ4Og60_3.jpg

nwgibson85

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. I did some digging around and found that making a double walled bowl helps with the heat, and allows for the draw hole to be dead center of the bottom of the bowl. I have made double walled vessels before, but never this small so it will take some time and work to get it right. Also I found one person's perspective that vapors taste much better in the porcelain pipes than aro's. I know what Aeromatic tobacco is, but have no clue what he is referring to when saying vapors.

nwgibson85

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Thank you all for welcoming me. http://www.lepeltier-pipes.com/index.html this is a great find thank you philip. I will be making very similar ones to what are available on that site.
When I finish some I am proud of I will provide pictures, and depending on how difficult they are to make I will gladly make them for you all.
-nick-

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Several members here carve some very nice briar but I'm thinking you would be amongst the few, if not the first, doing glazed ceramics. Very cool, looking forward to what you may come up with.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
dsc01168-600x450.jpg
My one porcelian pipe.

She surely smokes hot :)

but is good for a change of pace, when your brain tells you smoke slow or suffer the pain :lol:

bprivateaerdric

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2017
Lexington, KY
I don't know of this is worth adding to at this late date, but I was thinking today about ceramic pipes, since I made a lot of ceramic flutes and xuns years ago.

http://claypipes.pbworks.com/w/page/16002978/FrontPage
I was thinking about a shape made with a burn-away armature which also formed the draught and stem. But the heat issue means I might have to think further. I don't like the idea of a double wall since that prevents the stain movement, but that might be the best for smoking.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Here's You Tube Pipe Community's Scotty P. talking about his LePeltier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u87MC82Ijec

Status
Not open for further replies.