PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Cigrmaster and I were discussing a point recently with respect to whether cellophane should be removed from tobacco before it's stored. The two tobaccos that come to mind are Solani 660 Silver Flake and Wessex Gold Brick. To date, I have just taken the Solani flakes that come wrapped in cellophane and moved them into a ball jar, leaving the cellophane on. The same for the wessex gold brick bars. My preference would be to leave the cellophane on because (a) it's easier and I'm a lazy bastard, and (b) if I ever go to sell it in the future, it is wrapped in its original packaging. I guess the question is whether, after long term aging, the cellophane will impart a taste to the tobacco or whether it's completely neutral.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Cellophane is a plant based moisture permiable barrier used to protect tobacco from damage rather than to preserve it. I have no issue with it.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I remove the cellophane for fear of it inhibiting the aging process.
I'm also never going to sell anything. YMMV.
It just doesn't make sense to me to leave the cellophane on - if there is a minute chance of slowing the aging process or introducing off flavours then why risk it?
Future sales, yes - but to me a tobacco that comes in cellophane such as Gold Brick has zero sales potential compared to a tinned blend. I feel the same way about bulks...

Dec 24, 2012
I'm not worried about it inhibiting the aging process. It is permeable, but even if it wasn't, there is some air inside the packaging. Hard to see it being different than a vacuum sealed tin. I'm worried about it making the tobacco taste funky after 10 years.

Dec 24, 2012
Where's GL Pease when we need him? I wonder if there's some magic incantation that will cause him to appear in a plume of fire and brimstone to answer this question.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I see no problem with leaving it on for long-term aging.
This is a debate among cigar smokers too, but the consensus is, it does not hurt. As stated it is natural, permeable, etc... some like to take cello off to feel thebtobacco, some leave it on for protection. It will not leave a bad taste, in fact an aged cigar in cello turns it yellow/brown. A yellow wrapper is a good sign of an old cigar!
I wouldnt bother removing it

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Where's GL Pease when we need him? I wonder if there's some magic incantation that will cause him to appear in a plume of fire and brimstone to answer this question.
I hear you must gaze into a mirror in a darkened room and recite "GL Pease" three times, spinning in a circle with each recitation.
Be careful what you wish for...

Status
Not open for further replies.