PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
cellarlabels.com
Do any of you use these?

As someone who really enjoys tin art I look forward to seeing these on jars in my stash. They will certainly be quite an improvement over my sharpie chicken scratch on blue masking tape.

Here's a few examples.
Standard-Tobacco-Company-of-Pennsylvania-Bengal-Slices.png

Samuel-Gawith-Full-Virginia-Flake.png

McClelland-Frog-Mortons-Cellar.png

Dunhill-Nightap.png

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I’ll have to look into them. Definitely need some better labeling.
And I do love the artwork on the tins.
Wish they had some Nightcap :cry:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
This reminds me, wasn't someone printing and selling alternative labels to cover the warnings? They used the same design and size but replaced the 'smoking kills' BS with quotes about pipes from Bach and Tolkien and the like. I saw them somewhere, but can't find them now, and a google search turns up nothing (which probably isn't surprising).

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
That's a cool idea. I just recently bought some Avery generic 2" round labels for my mason jars, and spent a couple hours re-labeling all my mason jars. This would have been much easier.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
At first it was just some labels I copied online. Then I met some Canadians who wanted me to [/s]mule bring some tins to over the border into Windsor. I just got caught up in the community spirit I guess.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Can you say “Infringement”?
Some things that don't matter just don't f*@king matter.

These are free. Nobody is making any money off of anyone else's copyright. It's simply a way for those who have already bought the product to continue enjoying the tin art while using it in a jar rather than in a tin. I suppose it could technically be considered infringement but it would also be extremely lame to have this shut down when it's not doing any harm to anyone. If I owned rights to any of these images I would feel honored and happy that people appreciate them enough to find a way to continue enjoying them after the original packaging has served it's purpose.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
I also use the blue celler tape and Sharpie©️ marker. I was going to bring my tins to the library and use the color copier but the site is much easier. I “borrow/use” other peoples art/creativity daily and make money doing it. Serious grey areas exist. In our litigation prone society it is cheaper to take down a website than fight the lawsuit threat.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
I hear ya Woods, I'm not in your shoes on this one, and apologize for getting defensive about it. However, now I gotta ask, and with all due respect, what's the big deal? How can you possibly be negatively affected by people putting these stickers on jars after they've already bought the product? What am I missing here?
BTW - The Bengal Slices tin art is among my favorites. If you put it on a t-shirt I'll be first to buy one.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’ll give you the short answer:

When you own a trademark, you must protect it. If you allow others to use/misuse/appropriate it, no matter how minor the infringement, you are setting precedent. With each unchallenged use, it becomes more difficult to legally protect the trademark when a serious infraction occurs.
Common Sense Anwer:

It isn’t yours. Leave it alone.

Jan 8, 2013
I once mooned someone taking photos of Downtown Fort Worth, Texas. I thought it would be funny, my friends thought it was funny. And then about a month later, I saw someone wearing a Tshirt that said "Ass Texas Ass I Wanna Be," with a picture of what was unmistakably my derriere on the front. I know it was my very pale lower cheeks because of the Marvin The Martian tattoo with his fingers held up in a peace sign on the left side, and a perfect copy of the same tattoo on the right giving the middle finger.... anyway, enough about my Warner Brothers tattoos.... So I asked the guy, "Hey man, where did you get that shirt?" And it turns out the photographer I mooned was selling them to tourists on a corner near the stock yards for thirty bucks a piece!!! Making money off my butt! My lefty and righty! My Marvin The Martian tattooed gluteus maximus!!! 8O Although offended he was making money off my end (giggles), I must say though, I applaud his entrepreneurship.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Thanks Woods for the enlightening response. It's a shame that it has to be this way but I do understand where you're coming from.
BTW Ash, did you pay royalties to Spitfire Wheels for using their logo as your avatar? :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.