Cellaring...How Much Should a Person Cellar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
3 Fresh Doctor's Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
New Accessories
18 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'm fascinated by the amounts of tobacco pipers have cellared...100, 200, 300 pounds. I understand the reasoning behind cellaring. Favorite blends may no longer be available in the future, some blends get better with age, prices/taxes/government issues, it's fun collecting (hobby), investment for future and I'm sure there's other reasons.
Using the Tobaccopalypse Calculator on PipeTools. I need to cellar 38 pounds before I die. I have 2 pounds cellared...only 36 pounds to go. :)
Here's what I entered into the calculator: I'm 59, expect to live until I'm 75, I smoke 7 bowls a week...which comes to 2.4 pounds a year for the next 16 years.
Any thoughts? Has anyone else used the Tobaccopalypse Calculator?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I haven't. But if the math is like you used, I need more than I have allowed for. I generally smoke 6 to 8 bowls per day. So if you need 2.4 pounds per year, I need 16 pounds per year. I'm 61 and want to have tobacco to smoke if I live to 91. That's 30 years. so I need 480 pounds. I'm almost half way home then. LOL My calculation was based upon 10 pounds per year.
Edit: I found it on the Pipe Tool. I need 507 pounds. Not sure I agree with that amount but okay. I can allow TAD to occur for another year while I accumulate another 250 pounds or so. The chances of me living to be 91 aren't very good I would say but I can't take a chance of being wrong. Once I would hit 80 or so, what else would I do all day other than sit around and smoke my pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm going to keep buying until I can't afford it or they ban internet sales.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I think the calculations have to be generous for me. I go through ebbs and flows when it comes to consumption rates. Spring and fall can be a bowl a day. Summer and winter are more likely once a week - week and a half. But I also plan on smoking more as I get more free time as I get older. So better to be looking at it, than for it!

Reactions: Sawman

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I've collected about 2.5 pounds in the last three weeks. Seems I've got a long ways to go.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I am not cellaring for a lifetime. Apocalypses are not part of my worldwiew.

I'm thinking that when I reach about 20 pounds, I'll stop cellaring and stick to replenishing and sampling. But who knows? I might end up on a mountain of tobacco. I'm bad at making plans, and even worse at sticking to them.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Once I would hit 80 or so, what else would I do all day other than sit around and smoke my pipe.
There's always drinking, carousing with wild women, and driving fast cars! That's how I plan on doing it... :rofl:

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I feel like the guys that only smoke a bowl a day or a bowl every couple days usually quit the hobby and lose interest within a couple years. From being on forums for about 8 years or so that’s what I’ve come to realize. The boys that smoke multiple bowls a day usually stick around for awhile.

As for a cellar keep buying what you can afford

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I feel like the guys that only smoke a bowl a day or a bowl every couple days usually quit the hobby and lose interest within a couple years.
That very well may be me in the future. I've had many hobbies, some lasting for years and then just lost interest. Pipe smoking is an interest/hobby I have now. It may last a year or maybe ten years. Who knows? Maybe you'll see my 2 pound cellar for sale in a year or two. :rofl:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
That's almost... like... just one bowl a day. What do you do for the rest of the day?
Funny thing is...I'm retired collecting a nice pension after working 30+ years at an electric utility. I now work part-time at a bank. I have a lot of free time. I try to keep busy.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Just added 3 pounds from the Peter Stokkebye sale. Sitting at a bit over 50 pounds; add to it when I can afford to.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I have about 55 pounds in my cellar, but that total amount includes a lot of mistakes. My cellar includes blends that I ended up not liking. I haven't precisely measured the good the bad and the ugly in my cellar, but I estimate that I have some 40-45 pounds of the good stuff. In other words, once I'm down to the last 10 pounds in my cellar, I'm out of tobacco.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It might also be that the hobby turns into a habit, in which case they no longer want to talk about it and prefer to just smoke instead of coming here. Maybe they're all one-blend pipers now.

Status
Not open for further replies.