PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
I was wondering if anyone was using something like a FoodSaver vacuum system on their Ball or Kerr mason jars? I have one for bagging up my smoked meats as I do about 30 lbs at a time and it is just me and the wife most of the time.
They do make a attachment that you fill your jar, leave about a inch free at the top, lay your lid on and slide their part on and pull a vacuum on it, looks like a pretty good idea but I am still a beginner.
ere are YouTube clips out there, just search for "FoodSaver Jar Sealer"
Let your thoughts flow
Thanks
There are YouTube clips out there, just search for "FoodSaver Jar Sealer"

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if you are simply storing do whatever float your boat but if you suck all the air out of the jar you won't get much aging.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
GL Pease has written a lot on this subject. But as I understand it you can get two types of fermentation, aerobic and anaerobic. Both will effect the tobacco differently. I don't think you want to suck all the air our of the container, but creating a vacum to ensure a good seal on your mason jars is a great idea.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You should take a few ounces and vacuum it and seal it and store it, and store the same quantity without vacuuming it and check on it in a year.
Best pick a Virginia you like for best results.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
dochudson and northernneil +1
On balance, I don't think futzing with the vacuum equipment is worth the effort.

But hey, this is supposed to be a fun pastime; so I'd give Spartan props too!

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks guys, I know it does not remove all oxygen but it does remove most of it, for anything other than like dried fruits or dry beans and rice it still requires refrigation or freezing. guess I will have to try two containers from the same batch and let them set to be sure,
I will have to see if I can find what GL Pease wrote on the subject and how it fits to what I am pondering. :puffpipe:
For me sealing a jar it is just a matter of a minute or so because my sealer stays on the counter for all sorts of things, super great for coffee when buying the big cans :)

Status
Not open for further replies.