PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Or does it really matter?
I've got a few light English mixtures in the cellar. I'm buying in quantity for the purpose of having them for the future, not necessarily to age (although I am aging VA's on purpose).
These light/delicate Englishes have just the right amount of Latakia now, and I don't want to lose it.
The two I'm most concerned about are Squadron Leader, and H&H Ashcroft Estate. The Squadron Leader is jarred, and the Ashcroft Estate is tinned.
I have packed the jars as tightly as possible to minimize air... anything else I should do?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Minimizing the amount of air in the jar, even to the extent of vacuum packing it, won't address the changes made by anaerobic bacteria. I don't think freezing tobacco would be good for the cellular structure of the leaf, but cold storage might slow down things a bit.
I too, have read that Latakia fades with age, so your concern seems legitimate; but I think it takes decades, so extreme measures are probably not justified.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've had latakia based blends that were 60 years old that still smoked like latakia based blends. I believe it fades VERY, VERY slowly.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I am also with ashdigger.
GL just answered some email questions recently on a youtube channel and in one of them he mentioned vacuum sealing. GL said a friend does it long term but did not specifically state he was for/against it in that response. Not sure what his current opinion is.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I prefer faded Latakia or blends that where the Latakia content is more condmental. I dislike Lat bombs.
However, it's pretty rare that much Latakia smokiness will remain after 30 years, and pretty rare that it even lasts 30 years. There are always exceptions, almost always from old cutter tops, but they're exceptions, not the rule.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Did they have lat bombs years ago or is that a newer thing? I am guessing it has to be a newer type blend?

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Thanks all,
After weighing my options, I think I'm just going to let them be- jarred and tinned. I'm not particularly interested in vacuum sealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.