Cellaring Tubs? Carter Hall, Sugar Barrel Ect.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm thinking of cellaring some mor "codger" blends. I love Carter Hall, and have recently developed a love affair with Sugar Barrel. My question is, how long will these blends cellar in the tubs they come in with the plastic still on? I would think that they are not exactly ideal for cellaring. After opening my Sugar Barrel, Prince Albert ect., I always put the rest into jars. I've never cellared an unopened tub.

For those of you who cellar "codgers", how do you do it, and what are the results?
Thanks in advance,

Dan

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Those tubs seal pretty well. I use them for the bulks I buy. I use clear packing tape to seal them.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for asking the question Petes03, I was wondering that myself as my next order will be a few tubs of these old codger blends. Apparently at 39 I'm officially an old codger, I love these blends and use the tinned tobacco I have as a change of pace smoke.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
How long have you cellared the reused tubs ejames?

That sounds like a good idea
Not that long really. I don't have a large cellar. I have some 5100 Red Cake and Mac B Golden Extra that I put up in Dec. of this year. I bought 3 lbs. of the Golden Extra and did not want to mess around with a bunch of jars so I used the tubs. The last one I opened about a month ago was just as it was when I put it in the tub.It still has the perfect moisture content for me even after getting into it several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.