PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hi everyone,
Although this question might seem kind of dumb (although no question is supposed to be dumb), I'd like to know if you can tobacco the same way you would vegetables or fruit.

Are there other steps included that one might not use when canning fruits and veggies?

Also, should the jar be full to gain a good seal or vacuum, or does it not matter? The reason I ask this is because I have some half pint jars to put 50g tins in, but a couple tins have already been used somewhat.

Thanks everyone!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Waznyf,

There has been a lot of discussion about 'jarring' tobacco.

The most important points (IMHO) are clean jars, and the need for air to insure that the tobacco ages properly.

Vacuum in a jar of tobacco might preserve it, but it won't age properly.

:puffy:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Not to hijack your thread but I have a related question that could help you as well. I was wondering about jarring tobacco that comes in a plastic bag. Should the bag be removed or just put the bag in the jar?

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
tobacco should be loose in the jar and the jar should be sealed. Like a mason jar or some have a large stopper, and still more have a gasket and a clamping mechanism.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
So it is fine to just place the tobacco in the jar, and put the lid on? No more work done.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I think you will get different answers from different people on that last post. That is all I have been doing and it has worked for me.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
@herbinedave thanks for the article, I think I will use this method.

Good thing you posted that because I intended to boil them!

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
This pipe tobacco storage article came from right here on the site. It is what I used when I got my first large TAD a little while ago; though I do like what herbinedave posted as well.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I use a similar method of "packing" my tobacco into jars. I wash the jars in the dishwasher, and once it's done, I open the washer to let the steam out and the jars dry quick this way. I then boil the lids and bands and leave them on a clean towel to dry. I use a canning funnel to get the tobacco into the warm jar, put the lid on and screw down the band. The heat will eventually seal the lids to the jar and aging will begin. This doesn't happen often, but when it does I always have fun. Nothing like touching and smelling all that tobacco.
-Jason

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Thanks for the other great article grizzly86!

I'll use the information from both articles to do my first canning of tobacco!

Status
Not open for further replies.