PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
So, a lot of what I'm stocking up on right now are C&D and McClelland blends. I've been lucky to get some great deals on limited editions I know won't be around post FDA apocolypse. My questions is - I don't feel it's necessary to open them and put all these in jars and go through the whole shenanigans. I know a Dunhill tin will basically last forever sealed - but the C&D/McClelland type, how long can those just sit before the sealed tin is possibly compromised? They've probably been sitting in a smoke shop for a year - I see myself smoking them in less than 3. Do I even need to worry about that?
Obviously, anything I open will be jarred up. This applies only to setting aside sealed tins

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Like Cosmic said...they are good to go for the long haul. From my experience the contents have been safe and secure inside. I actually believe in them so much I have well over 1000 of those style tins in my cellar!

Dec 24, 2012
I would agree with this for the 2 oz tins. The larger 8 oz tins are 2 pieces, and have a seam I believe. I have heard that they can rust along the seam, but you have a few years for sure.. Not sure about the 3.5 oz tins - if I recollect, they are one piece as well.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have opened several 8 oz GLP tins from 2005 over the last year or so. I've seen no evidence of rust inside the ones I have.

I have seen rust creep up on older McClelland tins from the 1970s and 1980s but I don't think these are the same tins used today. If I buy it

in a tin, it sits around at my place for as long as necessary in that tin. I only jar bulk blends. Too many tins to count with too few problems to mention.

I do have one of those Sutliffe tins from 2007. It was a raffle prize at NASPC.
Mike S

Status
Not open for further replies.