PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
A follow up to the previous cellaring post. Are the C&D / Pease blend pull top tins suitable for cellaring? Thus far I've left them in their original tins thinking their sealed... But someone mentioned the'questions still out' on storing the tins, and that the tin size might matter. What's the consensus? (New thread started to prompt responses)

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Leave em sealed, put them in a dark, dry, cool location. You'll be fine. I popped a 9 year old C&D tin over Christmas. It was absolutely fine.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
This should garner some debate.
I personally think that a new tin (either vacuum or non-vacuum sealed) that isn't "air tight" is a relatively uncommon occurrence.

If you are referring to "vacuum" sealed tins then you could try a relatively simple test.

If you can open the tin without using a penny/key/pipe-nail or some other device with relative ease, then I would say the seal isn't air tight.
Another possible way to determine the "possibility" that a vacuum sealed tin... isn't; is to, inspect the edge/rim of the top of the tin and look for damage. e.g. dents, and the like.
I'm sure there will be other opinions. That's my own methodology.

:puffy:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Lawrence - I have some old tins of that type that are all bulged out, presumably from the gases generated during one of the fermentations, and they hiss when I pop them. So they are 'air tight' whether there ever was much of a vacuum when packaged. So I leave them be till they and I are ready. I'm less sure with some of the new typically 1.5 oz bigger tins that have the peel back metal top but with sides which remind me of metalized cardboard. Sutliff and some of the US packaged Wessex tins fall into this category.
hp

les

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you for the replies. I received an 8oz tin of a Pease blend which was dented, and put it in mason jars just incase. All other C&D /Pease blends I will continue to store in their original pull top tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.