PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2017
Hello everyone, I have a question :Is it a good idea to cellar pouched tobacco? will it stay smokable for a long time and if so what will be the best method in doing so, other then just keep it out of reach? (wrap it in aluminum foil, Ziploc etc..?)

Cheers!

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Hey dude. I put my pouched baccy into 4 oz jars immediately. Can't go wrong with that method. Not sure how long a pouch will stay fresh but I'm guessing at least a few months if it hasn't been opened. Take care

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
5 mil. aluminized Mylar bags would be a good option unless you have only one each of many different blends.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I got some St. Bruno Flake in a pouch, but inside the pouch is the flake in a foil-sealed container.

Does anyone know how well the foil seal holds over time?

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Yaddy I'm not sure myself, but I also have some of that St.Bruno in the foil-sealed containers and I jarred mine up. Seems like I read somewhere here on the forums where that wasn't reliable for long-term storage.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I just jar my unopened pouches
win_20151112_101154-600x337.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I cellar a lot of plugs and British over the counter blends and they mostly come in pouches. I experimented in many ways and for my needs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6O9KBC?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf these Mylar bags work the best. In the ones I linked you can fit up to 12 pouches per bag and you can form an airtight vacuum seal if you have one of those vacuum sealers. They work amazingly well and I have several hundred pouches stored this way. I needed to do it this way as I already have way too many jars and jars take up a lot of room. These you can store laid flat in a box and just lay each bag on top of the other.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Btw, pouches actually hold up well long term. I just recently bought a 5 pack of Condor RR with close to 18 years of age on them and they were still totally smokable without having to rehydrate. Most of my St. Bruno RR comes in pouches with 2 years of age on them and they’re as moist as a brand new pouch.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Good information, since I tend to like tobacco sold in pouches. Then based on my experience those cold colour foiled pouches used today by Mc Baren company for several brand names such as Amphora & St Brunos hold moisture quite nicely and long term.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jarring is the right way, and emptying the tobacco into a jar that seals is probably best. Not being a perfectionist, and not being afraid of a little drying, I sometimes smoke the blend right out of the pouch if it is in rotation and I don't bother to jar it, but you do this by choice, not the best approach, certainly not for any aging or storing. A few open pouches, rolled up and easily accessible, is appetizing to me, despite myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.