PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I just received my first TAD box that is intended to be 100% cellar fodder and I'm having a tough time. I really want to open and smoke something; it is becoming a test of will. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with instant gratification but I am used to smoking up what I order and ordering again, so it's hard to just lay tins down untouched. That said, I have too much in accessible jars already and need to start leaving tins unopened. I will suck it up though and keep focused on my growing selection of aging beauties. Does this get easier with time?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Are any of the tins blends you have NOT smoked before? Even if not, if you ordered multiples, crack one and try it out. I bought four tins recently of Escudo and of Three Nuns. Three of each went into the cellar and one of each was opened.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
There are a few I have not tried. The only problem is, I have been doing that the last few TAD's. I'll smoke a few bowls and then jar the rest but I am getting overloaded on jars and blends in partial rotation. It seems like it would be prudent to start just stacking some tins until I can work through everything I have in rotation. Is there any disadvantage to having some of everything in jars? I really want to crack the Kajun Kake, as I have never tried it.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Oh, yeah, I don't have more than a few blends open at any one time just because it'd get out of control. Plus I personally believe in trying to devote attention to blends. Ya know, get to know them a little better. Can't really get to know a blend and become friendly with it -especially a new one- unless sit down and talk to it regularly.
I have an aro open that I smoke at work and in the car, and I have two VaPers open. I won't open something else up until I've finished one.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Just buy tins to open that you have not tried while ordered tins to age that you have tried and liked. Smoke the ones you haven't tried yet and then on the next order get more of those if you liked them along with more tins or blends you have not tried. Buy Try Buy Repeat.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Is there any disadvantage to having some of everything in jars?
Jars are fragile space hogs, but a good way to go anyway.
If you don't taste a blend before you cellar it, how will you appreciate the effects of aging?

All you will be able to say is that the aged tobacco might be better than it was 10 yrs. ago. What does that mean?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
because it'd get out of control
This is exactly how I feel, right now. I want to burn through a few full tins and then sample more lest I get caught up in a few dozen new blends. I feel like I am back in my early twenties, sampling all these different blends but I need to impose some order on things.
Smoke the ones you haven't tried yet and then on the next order get more

I've been doing this but I feel like it's getting nuts. Perhaps on the next order I'll skip new ones and just focus on recently found blends I have tried and need more of. Thanks for the advice folks.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@daimyo, not a bad strategy. I went awhile without ordering anything I had already had. I have now bought some repeats, but now that I've moved into Va/ VaPers I am back to the start again of ordering new and trying things out.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
daimyo i get exactly what you mean though.
I have the same issue i have more open jars or atleast as much jars as tins now and its hard to get caught up because i don't smoke pipe as often as i would like.
One solution though be it a selfless one but it may benefit you to host a local burner and bring the open jars with you to let others try blends that they have not tried as well as you try the blends they have. Yet Another option is joining the forums box pass and tossing in and taking some blends out of the box.
It may seem like your giving tobacco away but your not what you are doing is trading blend experience and broadening your knowledge of many blends to help you save money on purchasing tins and by narrowing down your choices.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 @smokey. I got some stuff I'm taking with me to a pipe club meet up on Thursday to essentially give away to others so that they may enjoy it more than I did.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
To combat my instant gratification impulse, most of the time I open the box to make sure everything was shipped and in proper condition, then tape it back up and throw it in my office. It keeps me from cracking every tin, and when I finally decide to make some room by getting rid of the boxes, its like a mini-Christmas. It's nice to open a box and find forgotten Tilbury or Astley's 44 or (often as not) a box or two of .375 H&H cartridges ( I have to combat multiple Acquisition Disorders).

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
If only we had a pipe club! I do share with the two pipe smokers I know in town and that is nice. Perhaps i can scare up a few more, I'm sure there are more of us here. I'll have to check out the box pass but I do live in Alaska, so shipping is bad unless USPS is the carrier.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
If you don't taste a blend before you cellar it, how will you appreciate the effects of aging?

Cortez, I missed this earlier and I totally agree. But... that is how I ended up with so much in jars already. I've tried so many new blends lately, I think I need to burn through a few jars, get my rotation back in order, focus on stocking things I have tried on my next few orders and then get back to trying new blends. Thanks for all the advice. I will make it through this travesty somehow. :wink:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It can be hard sometimes to "finish what you started." That is part of the TAD, being unable to smoke an entire tin/pouch/jar without opening another three or four.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I think I have close to 80 different blends. There's probably about 30 that I've never had. I also have almost 40 open jars that I'm trying to get down to about a dozen so I can focus more on the current open rotation. Each month I keep telling myself to stop opening new tins and work with what I got open. Each month my open containers seem to continually grow though. It's tough.

To be fair though, I don't have more than 3 or 4 tins of a blend I've never had. Trying to follow the buy one for now and cellar a couple strategy. Many blends I've never had I only have 1 tin of.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have two open tins right now, Escudo and Three Nuns. I believe this is the lowest amount I've had open since I started tobacco acquisitions last August. I usually have 3-4 going at any one time, but I emptied the rest of a Sutliff Country Estate tin into my baccyflap.
That tin of Dunhill Navy Rolls is calling me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.