PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Newbie here and have a question. What do you advise regarding longer term (one year or more) storage of tobacco in plastic containers such as the ones that come from Hearth and Home? I really like some of their offerings and may stock up soon for cellaring. But, should I take it out of the plastic "tin" and put it in mason jars for longer term storage? I know some folks use mylar bags for storage so was was thinking of just leaving it in the original container. But, I don't want to be disappointed with a plastic tasting product down the road.
The Hearth and Home containers seem fairly airtight with the plastic seal on top to remove upon arrival. Just looking for some advice from those with experience.
Thanks!
Jim

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Hearth and Home containers? I'm not familiar with them. There are Hearth & Hand containers sold at Target. Is that what your asking about?
I personally would stick with Mason/Ball jars.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm not sure what H&H bags you're referring to, but unless they're using aluminized heavy duty Mylar you're not going to get any benefit from long term storage. The big heavy plastic bags that bulk gets shipped in are not for long term storage. I recommend that you use mason jars, 4oz and 8oz for cellaring. That way you can open what you want while leaving the rest alone to age, if you want to age it.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
I’m referring to these.
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/p/hearth-home-mid-town-chatham-manor-pipe-tobacco/1486438/#p-169423
Thanks
Jim

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Ok. Duh! Now it makes sense. Sorry, I can't help...I've never purchased any H&H in the tubs.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The tubs hold up fine. They have a mylar barrier just under the lid. If you want to keep the contents from drying out after you unscrew the lid, just carefully peel back the mylar barrier when you help yourself to some tobacco and then stick it back on the rim of the tub before screwing down the lid.
The contents will keep for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.