PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
So, I've really started my earnest cellaring operations over the past year. Not to the level of Harris or Peck (though I've found my tastes are pretty similar to Harris's, so if he cellars it then it goes on my list too). I just buy some favorite tins when I make an order of something new, perhaps to get to the free shipping bit (more on that below).
I will often opt for the ready rubbed to try it out, but I am thinking when I order it to age and cellar I find that I prefer the flake or the full plug. Does this seem more correct for the cellar? The way I see it, part of the function for cellaring is to simply age the tobaccos that age well, but another part is to marry the different flavors and leaving it as a flake or a plug will achieve that objective better. So, my question is, am I analyzing this correctly?
As far as my point about getting to the free shipping number: my wife flips out when she sees a $100 order once a month, but doesn't seem to mind a $50 order with and $8.95 shipping charge. Doesn't matter that I explain it to her. Doesn't matter that it equals a free tin of good tobacco. Nope. $100 and I'm in the dog house. $58.95 x 2 and I'm just being cute with my hobby. Blah!!!!!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I tend to go for plugs that I like over a ready rubbed version of the same. I find the flavors have more depth in a plug than otherwise. I have only experimented with Jackknife plug and its ready rubbed version, though.
The other ones I have messed with come in flake form and plug form (St. James Flake, Dark Flake, Full Virginia Flake) and detected no real differences between the flake and plug. I stocked more St. James Flake than the plug version because its easier to get flake in the USA, but overall prefer the flake. Full Virginia Flake and its plug were about the same satisfaction-wise and I prefer the Dark Plug over the flake.

I'm not sure, and that's why I keep a variety of plugs, flakes and rubbed in the cellar. It will be a few years before I can assess for myself which is better.
Hmmm, $100 freaks her out? I was going to suggest buying 80oz at a time to bring down cost, but... I do tend to put away more tobaccos that come in bulk than I do tins, mainly because of costs. So, that reduces how many plugs I have in storage.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I know one way you can figure it out... buy a tin of ready rubbed and a tin of flake, same tobacco obviously, and age them both for 5 years. Then smoke them side by side and let us know your findings :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
From what I've learned here -- or the beliefs that I have developed -- flake or plug processing intensifies and

melds the flavors in a blend; and because of the compactness of the format, saves space for large quantity storage.

The downside, if you want to call it that, is that sugars are not as thoroughly metabolized by aerobic bacteria

during the term of the aging. So, expect an aged Virginia flake or plug to be sweeter than a ribbon cut, but perhaps

lacking in some of the more complex flavors that bacterial action can produce.

Here's a link to a post from a month ago that has some relevant comments.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
The wife situation in my case was resolved in a coupon comparison. I’m not sure if she bought it or just gave up the fight.
Cellaring for ageing and not storing. Tins are vacuum-sealed with little oxygen, a completely different topic so I’ll just address jarring. The science dictates that ageing will begin after the oxygen is depleted and the anaerobic bacteria can go to work. In a well-prepared jar, this has many viewpoints. To me the balance of enough oxygen producing a good amount of aerobic bacteria in a reasonable amount of time is a semi-lose pack with about one half inch left at the top. After a few months, the oxygen consumed, there are plenty of dead aerobic bacteria to get a fast growing anaerobic colony going. They begin by consuming the dead aerobic bacteria. Then you factor in the space for the carbon dioxide to inhabit allowing for the spread of anaerobic colonies. This tends to lead to rubbed out first, flake second and plug last. Personally, I agree with the plug being the slowest due to lack of penetration, but a flake will have more moisture present, shielded through the time of the aerobics period leaving more for the anaerobic too utilize. Flake also has deep crevasses to allow enough penetration of the colonies and more moisture and sugars leftover. Since this is cellaring for age (years) it will have a more uniform and deep ageing. Plus a nice dark juicy flake beats out a dried twist of tobacco any day. IMO :crazy:
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.