PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I have been cellaring christmas ales and IPA's for years. I am not talking about any main stream beers but like harpoons winter ale, Sammy smiths winter warmer and great lakes xmas ale. Save a 12 pack every year and keep good rotation.
Anyone else do this

Ohh and a good Belgium could also be found in my "cellar"

buckley01

Lurker
Dec 8, 2011
Very good idea. Beer will cellar very well if the ABV"s are up there like your winter warmer's. I am a home brewer and I have some "Turbo Cider" that I make every year, the ABV is 16.5% and I have a few bottles still from 2 years ago. When ever I make a high alcohol beer especially a stout, porter or Belgium style I try remember to put a six pack in the back of the basement to "find" later and enjoy. Keep the brew in a dark cool place like a cellar or basement and you should be fine.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I wouldn't cellar it too long and I would make sure it stayed a consistent temp before you decided to refrigerate it to drink. Over time the hops and other ingredients can sour giving a very bitter beer. That's why Sam Adams and Budweiser have dates on the beer and take back any stock that is old.
I don't think it is bad to drink an old beer but I don't think aging it has quit the same affects as aging wine or baccy.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I too have been brewing for years have elaborate set up. I do cellar only high alcohol or hopped beer and most of the winter beers I cellar have spices which mellow in a years time. Of it has floaters yes its not good, the born on date ir sell by date was a ploy by budwieser years ago to get some of the craft beers a rap. When you use chemicals in your beer you need a born on date. When you brew with natural ingredients it lasts a lot longer. I am not saying to keep beer for 5the years but a year in a cool dark place can mellow out a beer.

Cellaring in the fridge is not really cellaring, it stops the natural aging process the yeast goes through.

Status
Not open for further replies.