PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
It is my understanding that Aromatics does not "age" well and will eventually lose their original casing/flavor if stored for long periods of time.
Is this correct? How do you Aromatic smokers cellar your favorite blends for the long haul? Vacuum packed jars? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Sep 18, 2015
I don’t smoke very many aro’s so take this into account. A few years ago I picked up some holiday blends and decided to store em until I figured out how to smoke em without melting my tongue. I used a food saver vacuum sealer, I was told that the lack of oxygen would not let the tobacco age properly, that’s pretty much what I wanted so I figured why not!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my experience, aromatics mellow at lot, so their flavoring somewhat fades. If the base tobacco is good Virginia or burley, a blend can stay smokeable and, depending on your tastes, somewhat improve. Blends can get pretty dry and lose much of the aromatic flavoring and still be a good smoke, to me. But you're not aging aromatics for enhanced flavor as you might do with a fine Virginia single leaf or blend, just to maintain it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How long a term are you thinking? More than 10 years? Aros seem to hold up pretty well for several years or more, according to reports from other members. Pretty much most toppings lose some strength over time.

But you might find some longer term survival by trying out this jarring method:
http://www.glpease.com/Articles/vacuum.html
Which slows down the rate of aging and which would help preserve your toppings.

Status
Not open for further replies.