PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Looking at this thread;HERE
I see that Virginias age very well in the cellar. I had a 1lb bag of Mac Baren Vanilla Cream that was purchased in January 2011. Anyway, during a move, I had misplaced the unopened bag. It was packed away with some 3" black cherry pillar candles. Upon finding the bag, I opened it, and it had lost much of its moistness. I then put them in jars.
However, I may have cellared them incorrectly. I bought Pint jars, and proceeded to put 1/2 lb in each jar, pressing them down and packed tight. There was 1/4-1/8" space between the tobacco and the lid when tightened, which naturally, unpacked up to the lid.
They have been in jars for about 9 months. A couple months ago, I read where there needs to be a couple inches between the tobacco and the lid for tobacco to age right. Should I uncellar them and move them to other jars, giving them more room and less packed? So, instead of (2) 1/2lb jars, make them (3) 1/3lb jars?

Aging Vanilla Cream isn't going to give you anything better than what you have. I am smoking two year old tins of it now, and its just as good as the day I bought them. What you did was OK. Because if you had of given room and the ideal environment for aging, you may have lost some of the aromatic-ness. I think what you are wanting is to preserve them, not necessarily age them.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have kept my Vanilla Cream and my 7 Seas Royals as they were, "packed" 1/2 pound pressed in a pint jar. Since they arent really again, just "preserving" as mentioned above, then this should be fine.
However, I did take my two remaining 1/2 lb pint jars of Vintage Syrian, and separate them into (8) 50g half-pint jam jars. There is about an inch or so space between the tobacco and the lid. This will also make it so that they will age better, since I am only opening 50g at a time, instead of 1/2lb.
I think that is what I will do from this point on. Any future aromatics (bulk) will most likely go into pint jars, while any (bulk) english/balkan will go into jam jars.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I get your reasoning, and I actually had come to that same conclusion. I was pondering the same thoughts regarding sealed tins and airspace.
However, my main reason for moving the Syrian to smaller jars was that I didn't want to break the aging process by opening a 1/2lb jar of the blend a dozen times. It will also allow me to sell/share/give away a tins worth (50g) to anyone. I had been so busy these past few months that that aspect of cellaring never dawned on me.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
their is no point to age aros they will not gain anything because they coat them to get that flavor in it.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Right. They are not being cellared to age. They are being simply preserved from drying out. This is regarding the aros vanilla cream and 7 Seas Royal that are packed in pint jars. I removed them from their bulk 1lb bag because i had a 2yr bag of unopened vanilla cream that almost dried out.. In the bag.
The vintage Syrian is not an aro, but a wonderful English blend that will age nicely. This i put into smaller jars so that they will age in smaller portions.

Newbie is coming across as a bit of an ass with his comment. Let's see his expert card (Newbie). I am basing my suggestion on the writing of GLP and others who are experts in the field, as well as my own experience. There are two forms of aging processes, check this out. After a tin is open or bulk is received for aging to take place the bacteria needs oxygen and moisture to get established, and using those resources sets the seal by creating a vacuum. Then the process begins. With tins the process is different. As far as what those differences are, I am still admittedly new to this, so I defer to the Dark Lord Pease once again. Yes, I am no expert, but I at least don't just post crap based on what is heard on here. If I was going to do that, I'd post that vacuum seal suggestion that is debunked by better men than me in the tobacco world. But, this seems to be all over the forums as a pop myth.
Maybe try reading as much as you can on the subject and listening to a few radio shows. I wouldn't just willy nilly experiment with five pounds a month without doing my homework. And, I wouldn't just make a suggestion based on casting chicken bones. I don't have that kind of money to take unneeded risks.
Griffonwing, even on this forum, suggestions can be risky. Brian has some of the best tobacconist talk about this subject on the radioshow, and I would defer to those tobacconists that you trust and their blogs and such. There is good researched work out there on this subject.

Eh, I've told tales of the great "Out There." Ha ha. But, yeh, no one should just take a comment from a forum, if they have a sizable investment of tobacco riding on it. Those weren't my words. I'm no expert, but check out the actual experts. I would take a blog post by GLP or Russ's blog from P&C. We did used to have a micro-guy on the forums that had good info on what is happening inside that jar. Look for old posts on the subject too, but dredge through the chicken bones from people re-hashing good advice. It's a forum, or you could just ask the Magic 8 Ball. :puffy:

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I will be honest. I did remember reading about the difference between tins and bulk bags, however it had slipped my mind. I knew the reason, but I had forgotten how I knew. I learn so much on these forums; there is so much information that I, many times, forget something that I just read the day before. Having ADD doesn't make things any better for me, LOL
With the 10-month old Vintage Syrian tobacco moved from 2 tightly-pressed jars to 8 moderately packed smaller jars, I feel that the aging process can really begin, as part of me wants to think that it never really had the chance to start with before. Plus, as I mentioned before, it has the double added traits that 1) I only need to open a 50g jar at a time, allowing the other jars to continue to age, and 2) I can simply grab a jar and trade it/give it away instead of having to measure out a quantity.

Griffonwing, I hope you didn't think that I was admonishing you for your cellaring style or for asking about it. I have had twenty tins of this Vanilla Flake for two years. I had no idea that one tin for just my morning smoke would last so long. But, as I open these tins that I have had for the longest (and no telling how old they were when I got them) I notice that some of the flavor has diminished significantly. I have bought tins of Erinmore and Firedance that had been on the shelf for quite a while only to find that almost all of the flavor had left them also. For me, I won't be buying bulk aromatics anymore for this reason. I think that the toppings just don't last, and aging them doesn't do anything positive that I have seen, not like a pure Virginia or VaPer. Setting aside the argument for or against aging, I think that if it were me with a box of these aromatic flakes, that I would just put them all in a jar, not worrying about aging, and just open the jar and pulling out what I need a handful at a time. In this case with this type of tobacco, I don't think that aging will result in a better product, so opening the jar and closing it back up wouldn't be a concern for me.
But yes, if this were a Virginia or VaPer that you wanted to see significant results from aging, then small jars, a bit of headroom in the jar, and don't open them till you're ready to smoke them.
But, as stated, I am no expert. I am just going by what I have read and deduced from reading and listening to the real experts.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
The problem with this whole aging thing is that people keep repeating the mantra that tobacco ages via a fermentation mechanism. Tobacco does not age via fermentation. It ages via enzymatic reactions with the amino acids, sugars and other constituents in the leaf. Leffingwell has done considerable research in this area so

I'd sugest if anyone wants to learn more to read up on his studies.
Another ding against the fermentation theory is that almost all tobacco has PG added to it ( not all but most). PG is a very effective anti microbial agent. Add to the fact that Viginia (flue cured) is heated above 130F during the curing process. This temp is high enough to kill the existing bacteria/yeast that is on the leaf.
There is no data to support the fact that fermentaion is responsible for the change in flavor profile but there is plenty to support the enzymatic process.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
No worries there, cosmic. I wasn't getting any sort of admonishing vibe from you at all. I am learnign more everyday, from everyone here, even Newbie has given me some insight as well, and I appreciate his thoughts as well.
Knowing what you just informed me of your experiences with aromatics, I will probably not order any more Vanilla or 7 Seas until I get down to 1 jar of each. When I had purchased them, I had a very select diet of those two, and just 1 or two others like Charing Cross and Skiff. Now that my tastes in the last few years have been moving away towards Engish/Balkan, I find that I am not smoking as much Vanilla or 7 Seas as I used to. These two jarred aros will last quite a while, and I do fear that they may lose some of the flavor before my bowl finds the bottom of the last jar.
This just gives me more incentive to share. :)

----------

Thank you jitterbugdude. I will look into that study as well. There is still SO MUCh more that I would love to learn. I am very glad that I started this thread. Perhaps others can learn from this as much as I am.
Thanks to all.

I don't think anyone on this thread used the word "ferment" or "PG." Honey and most casing were added to tobaccos to stop mold and microbial actions as well. But, people report all sorts of good things happening with aged versions of those flakes. I don't smoke anything that I can detect any PG added (detect, being the significant word in that sentence). But, really from what I've read, Virginias and VaPers are two blends that show any significant results from aging. So, I have very strict standards about what I buy in bulk or multiple tins of. I do have a few Latakia blends and mixtures that I have in there, added before I knew what I was doing, but I don't expect anything wonderful to come of those. I just add to the cellar what I think will benefit the most from aging. It's not like I would put five pounds of Hobbit's Weed or 1Q in there or anything, ha ha. In fact, I see most production run tobaccos (even Virginias) as not being worthy of trying to age. MacBarons or Lane, paleez. What would one expect from trying to age one of those? (I know, I know, tobacco snob, but somebody's got to say it, ha ha)
There are those who age there favorite blends and those who hoard. Hoarders can just vacuum seal up their collection, because they don't care about the aging effects. People aging their tobaccos need to monitor the temperature and light that their blends are exposed to. It's really two totally different things.
I will check out this Leffingwell guy. Thanks for the suggestion.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
"After a tin is open or bulk is received for aging to take place the bacteria needs oxygen and moisture to get established, and using those resources sets the seal by creating a vacuum. "
This is fermentaion

...not necessarily. I can witness this happening. I may not have the exact wording on what is causing it, but it happens. Like, when I push the button on my key, the door unlocks. Not much to argue about it. Now, whether it is enzymes or bacteria, phhht, who cares? It happens, and the stuff tastes good. Beyond that I could care less the exact names of tiny magic bugs that do whatever it is they do. I don't know exactly how my iPhone works, but I can use it.
I tried to read some of Leffingwell's work, but it is so jargon ridden that I would have to pull out my college chemistry books to decipher what they are saying. And, I'm not even sure if this stuff pertains to exactly what we are talking about when we talk about aging on the forums. It looks like most of this stuff is for the cigarette industry pertaining to the loss of flavor in cigarettes. RJ Reynolds has its name all over the research.
Not to discount Leffingwell's work, but at least GLP and Russ bring the info to us on a level that we can understand what to do. And, these two bank their whole livelihood on aging to some degree, especially Greg. And, they are accessible on this forum. You can always ask them, and they frequently post or comment on here. So, be careful, the Dark Lord of Latakia may be watching, ha ha ha.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
My point is... Leffingwell has conducted scientific studies on how tobacco ages, GLP and Russ have not! I tend to go with the science guys. Most people in tobacco sales tend to say things that are not supported by anything but conjecture. Others read this and assume "they must know what they are talking about" and repeat the myth.. and so on and so on. Say it enough and it becomes gospel. Not trying to open up a can of worms here, just pointing out that science says tobacco ages via enzymes. As such that means you do not stop the aging of tobacco everytime you open the lid.

Status
Not open for further replies.