PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
I know this has probably been brought up before, but I felt like asking.
How do you guys choose to cellar?
Personally, I stick to about 20 or so different blends. Lots of Virginia's. Lots of perique. A little latakia and oriental. I choose to stockpile pounds of the stuff I know I like and have for a long time. I have some reserve stuff that comes around when my tastes change occasionally (latakia).
What about you?

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I don't have the funds or inclination to buy great swathes of pipe tobacco that I don't imminently need. When funds permit, I might buy an extra tin of something I like and tuck it away for later. The only other thing I have "cellared" is some mixed scraps salvaged from the back end of blends that were drying out. They were jarred up with some fresher stuff thrown in, and tucked away in the depths of the cupboard.
Overall, my entire "cellar" is probably less than 10oz. I don't really know or care too much. If tobacco ever gets completely outlawed, or gets prohibitively expensive, I'll quit - simple as that. Till then, I'll keep buying what I need and enjoying it WORRY FREE. Tobacco is WAY down the list of survival priorities, and even if I win the lottery, I'm still not falling for some "buy 3x what you need because the end of the world is coming" sales tactic ...... again.
I already have over a decade's worth of nasal snuff, and haven't quite figured out how the hell that happened. I wish I'd got a decade's stash of single malt whisky.....

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Well, the thing with cellaring is that aging the tobacco also makes for some great smokes. It is most noticeable with VA and VAPER blends, but frankly it also is good with latakia blends. So it isn't just about stockpiling for the future. I only have significant amounts of a few blends - 6 or so - and then lots of odd tins here and there. I always buy two of something I'm trying out and squirrel one away to see how it ages.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not big quantities, and don't go chasing hard to find blends, but I do have English and Balkan, various burley based blends often from C&D, Va and Va/per, and a few aromatics, all tobacco forward. Tabac-Manil Semois would go with the burleys, as a Belgium burley variant. I keep an eye out for blends that go without either Latakia or Perique, since those seem to be default, somewhat overused condiment tobaccos. I have a slight bias toward brands and blends that maintain a market presence rather than always pining, searching, and overpaying for hard-to-get blends; brand loyalty can sometimes go from the brand to the customer, too.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Other than a couple of big bags of EMP and Crown Achievement when Lane discontinued them I've just over bought every time I stop in a pipe shop. Four or six ounces a week for years and a tin here and there adds up. 8O

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I always buy two of something I'm trying out and squirrel one away to see how it ages.
Me too.
I strive to keep my thoughts out of the cellar.
:clap: Well played!
I cellared more broadly than most, because I like everything. I am pretty happy overall with my cellar, though. I should have enough to last me unto death, even if the FDA stopped the sale of tobacco tomorrow.
I would have more escudo if I had it to do over again. Bottlecaps (Fallout video game reference here), gold, and escudo will be currency in the post-apocalyptic world

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If it's tobacco, I cellar it. Also just got some Yenidje seeds. Will be growing my cellar in several different ways. :mrgreen:

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I live in Europe and in the EU, so for me its very naturally to stock up on tobacco now.
Just see the post: "Bad News In Europe and the pipe community"
I usually buy Virginias because they will get better with age, but now I have Dunhills too on my list. If I try some new tobacco that I really like, I get an order of it in to cellar. I even buy extra of aromatics these days even it is not advicable to cellar those.
It is simple for me, I want to keep smoking my pipe for years to come, just because I like it. A regular tin of tobacco here is 40-50 USD.
I dont know anything, that has been "dragged so much in the political undertow" than the pipe and pipe tobacco. The way the cigarette smoker and nicotin users has been treated for the last 10 years is disgusting in many EU countries. While there is a common rule in psychiatric ward, drug ward and alcohol treatment fasilities that everyone "has the right to destroy their own life" so laws about coercion is not prohibited, instead they get to destroy their own life, childrens life and familys. While the health personell is prohibited from smoking inside 100 meters from the facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.