PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Couldn't find an answer to the question about impact on cellared tobacco opened, then reclosed. I know it stops the aging process, but does the process resume upon reclosing? It would seem logical that it would, with only a short interruption in the process.

May 4, 2015
It will still "age". Just differently than it would if it were never opened. Whether or not that difference is for better, worse, or unnoticeable will depend on the blend and about an infinite amount of other factors. If it's the only one of that blend and vintage you have, you'll never know!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Tom pretty much has it nailed. The fresh injection of outside air will start internal fermentation and ageing afresh.
Whether it has a positive or negative effect on the tobacco you will only find out on subsequent openings of the jar in question.
I use jars primarily for storing loose tobacco, every now and again reloading a 50g tin from the jars for smoking over a couple of weeks or so. As yet I've never experienced any negative effects.
Regards,
Jay.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
It has to consume the fresh oxygen before aging resumes...but it does resume after a while.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
I go back and re-read the GL Pease article that northernneil posted above every few months. Solid advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.