Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Cellar Blends

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

I'm about to start my 2 years of mandatory military service (South Korea, so no need to thank me for my service), and thought that I could cellar some tobacco and enjoy it upon discharge. Any recommendations on blends that would really shine upon being cellared?
    Thanks in advance!

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Escudo, G L Pease Telegraph Hill and any other va/pers. I would also cellar straight Virginias such as Capstan Blue and SG FVF.

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorites are all very hard to find right now.

Full Virginia Flake
    St. James Flake
    Kendal Plug/Best Brown Flake
    Dorchester/Dunbar/Tilbury/Stonehaven/Blackpool
    Dunhill Flake/Dark Flake
    Klondike Gold
    MB Pure VA Flake (Available!)

Generally VA blends but several people like aged English blends
    Skiff Mixture would have my vote.

Sorry for this completely useless post as I really don’t think any of those blends are currently available, most will be again someday but probably not before you deport.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

I just received a 250g package of FVF. Would it be fine in the original box, or should I put it in a Mason jar or something?
    @hawky454 May I ask what MB stands for? Also, I found that my local B&M has Dunhill Flake, the price being $20. I've had one tin before and enjoyed it. Would it be a nice buy from a economic standpoint?

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

@dfo For cellaring, would you prefer a 2oz tin or a 8oz one?

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Whatever you could afford, it doesn't really matter. I would make sure to jar 250g packages of SG blends, such as FVF.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I just received a 250g package of FVF. Would it be fine in the original box, or should I put it in a Mason jar or something?

Absolutely jar it. Inside the box, the flakes are in a baggy. They will dry out if not jarred.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@hawky454 May I ask what MB stands for? Also, I found that my local B&M has Dunhill Flake, the price being $20. I've had one tin before and enjoyed it. Would it be a nice buy from a economic standpoint?

I would certainly jar the FVF and good score by the way! I usually take the flakes and cut them in half and stack them in those squat 8oz jars, works very well and you could get a box in 4 of those jars, which I prefer, the more jars the better as you open one the others go undisturbed.

MB stands for Mac Baren (sorry). And I personally would buy the Dunhill Flake at $20, I'm sure the secondary market is charging a lot more though I haven't looked. I am starting to be a believer of the whole aging tobacco thing, Dunhill Flake with 5 years on it is excellent!

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would also definitely grab the Dunhill Flake.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the input! I would also really appreciate any ideas on alternatives for a Mason jar, since they're priced rather high in my country. Having lived in the States, it would slightly piss me off to pay the price retailers here ask for...

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Mylar bags and sealer?

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

Thanks!

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, alaskanpiper, ron123, ashdigger, cosmicfolklore, cortezattic, jaygreen55, georged, brooklynpiper, voorhees