Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrats

Lurker
Oct 7, 2012
Im a new pipe smoker. Ive smoked both aromatics and english blends but this golden cavendish blend I have throws a curve ball at me. it dosnt have any overt flavoring mentioned in the description, but it definitely tastes of vanilla. is this just the tobacco or is this simply an aromatic blend? the reason I ask is because I have my pipes seperated between aro and eng.

thank you

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
I'm sure there will be some disagreement on this "I say tomato, you say tomato" subject. That being said, if a blend has cavendish in it, I automatically toss it into the aromatic pile, my .02 for whatever it's worth.
Gary

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
A little clarification on my tobacco classification/pipe dedication rotation: I dedicate my pipes to one of 4 tobacco types, virginia blends, va/pers, latakia blends, and everything else. Thus, to be more accurate, if a blend has any type of cavendish in it, it goes in the "everything else" pipes.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Probably has a vanilla casing. Even "unflavored" Cavendish has a mild casing of some type. Whenever I buy unflavored Cavendish for blending it has a vanilla note.

mrats

Lurker
Oct 7, 2012
I see, Ill keep that in mind, ive been smoking black house in this pipe so hopefully that vanilla flavor dosnt stick around

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Yes cavendish is usually associated with aromatics. I believe they are coated with sugar/syrup then pressed and heat treated. Cavendish is more of a process than type of tobacco as cavendish can be made from any kind of tobacco.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
If you taste vanilla, it's most likely a flavored cavendish.
Unflavored cavendish -- which is used in some Balkan, English or Va/Per blends -- won't have a distinct flavor like vanilla or anything. It will just add sweetness and smoothness.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Cavendish is not a variety of tobacco; it's a way of processing tobacco. The tobacco is pressed, which brings out the natural sweetness of the leaf. American style cavendish is made from burley, and is much more apt to be flavored than English style cavendish, which is made with Virginia leaf. Virginia leaf is, of course,much sweeter than burley.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
i have had the same issue with black cavendish i have never wanted to put it in the same boat as aro but alas it is.

mrats

Lurker
Oct 7, 2012
nice picture doctorthoss, I voted for him last election and might do so again this year. I think the best thing I can do is taste for aromatics and english blends rather than relying solely on labels and descriptions to guide me. they are convenient but not always available. especially at my local tobacconist. their bulk blend labels are not very descriptive. they dont know much about pipes and in fact they ask me questions about pipes and pipe tobacco. most people who shop there smoke cigarettes or hookah.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Ask your local guys if their blends are Lane's, relabeled. I am not a Lane's smoker,but a "golden cavendish" could be their HS-3.

mrats

Lurker
Oct 7, 2012
Ill be sure to ask them about their labeling system, jud. like I said, they arent really in the pipe business. in fact the website for the store dosnt mention anything about pipes or pipe tobacco. this isnt a mom and pop operation either. How I would love to have something like my idea of what would be an old time tobacconists shop in my town. thanks for your help everybody.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Some Stokkebye blends are marketed under a "Golden Cavendish" name. Finck Cigar Co.'s is actually Stokkebye Natural which to me is definitely sweetened and MAYBE lightly topped (but I can't tell really as it is so VA heavy). Best to ask your vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.