PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Mrs Sothron has just informed me, as I sit here enjoying a pipe and an IPA, that the chest freezer has been unplugged, for some time, and the contents defrosted - ruined. Apparently one of the GSDs had inadvertently unplugged it, or at least that is the theory.
Contained therein were three seasons worth of venison steaks, medallions, and cubes; three seasons worth of duck and goose breasts; two whole chukkars; and some quail. Plus various frozen odds and ends from the garden.
I am beside myself with grief. And I am considering shooting the dogs.
Consolation appreciated, and may save a canine life.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
That's a big loss allright. Save the GSDs (I'm guessing that means Alsations, which the Yanks call a German Shepard?). The one that unplugged it is going to miss as many table scraps as you would have had steaks.
Consolations given my friend :)
Dave

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Yes, 'Alsatians'. However, Mrs Sothron (who is English) points out that I'm not a 'Yank', properly, but rather a Confederate - there being a chasm of difference between the two ;)
I am grieving. As will my English mother-in-law when she finds out (her being a great fan of game).
I am beside myself. What a spectacular waste.
And means I will be spending every weekend and many weekday mornings next fall in the tree stand to replenish the stocks.
As a side note, I spent a year living PT with Mrs Sothron (before she was 'Mrs' Sothron) in Suffolk. And love England. Could easily live there if not for so many pesky laws and regulations. And for the cost of living. Simply love England. And order a pipe from Invicta every December.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Roth, funny story (regarding labels). My very good friend Jason is also a big hunter. Occasionally, knowing that I eat only game and home-grown, he will bring meat back for me when his own considerable freezers are full. On those occasions Mrs Sothron will label the bags "Jason" and put them in the freezer (to differentiate them from my own takings). I often remark to her that he better not ever turn up missing. Otherwise we'll have a lot of 'splainin to do....

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Roth, I have super bargain basement insurance on the dwelling as it's an Ag property and harder to insure. Good idea though. I will enquire.
Irish, you are probably right. They are good, trained guard dogs. I'm stroking one now. (Though I would like to strangle it...)

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Forgive me please for calling you a Yank. From WWII, all Americans were Yanks to us, just as we were all Brits (or Limeys). I didn't know there was a difference until we found a little old lady on Galveston Island who was glad to find out we were Brits and not one of those damn Yankees.
It's not a term of disrespect; quite the opposite, to us it means American, and is a sign of respect, and cousinly love.
PS I could live back home too, except for those pesky laws. BTW, I grew up in South Wales, on top of the Brecon Beacons. It looks like this. Wild and desolate, beautiful and dangerous. Think Cold.
BB.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wow, sorry for your loss. Since you can't shoot the dogs, I would suggest shooting the wife. She should have been aware that it was unplugged as she is on plug patrol. If you decide not to shoot her, make it clear that she is to check that plug no less than 4 times a day from now on.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Shit happens. Animals are animals.
My deductible won't get me much at the Grocery store. The last time I had this issue, I paid the deductible and the Insurance company paid the rest.
If you can pay for it with money, don't sweat it. You can always make more.
Move on. Nobody died.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Where's the battery backup when you need it?!
Mourn with some top notch ale and begin another day. My deepest, smoked, meaty, tender, delicious, aged, sympathies.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Well look at it as natures way of saying, please kill more deer and foul and stock back up. This year is going to be your best.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
Unless it is perfeclty rank, cook it up, make dog food out of it and re-freeze it. No animal shall die in vain.

Status
Not open for further replies.