PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I am posting this out of desire to poll our group of fellow pipe smokers. Over the past several months I have been noticing problems with my vision in my left eye, and I went to the eye doctor yesterday. He confirmed what I had feared, I have a significant catact in my left eye, and the beginnings of one in my right eye. What was of specific interest and concern is I am only 48 years old (a bit young for cataracts), and had no sign of them at my last exam a little over a year ago. You can all guess where this is going...."Do you smoke?" "I smoke a pipe several times a week....." Of course the doctor would then lead someone to believe that my evil pipe smoking has caused this to occur and he can recommend several programs to stop smoking. Personally, I don't think my pipe smoking had, or has anything, to do with my current vision situation any more than just rotten luck. I am scheduled for surgery next month in my left eye, with the right eye TBD if it progresses. How many fellow members have also had to have cataract surgery and what age? Do you feel, or were you told, that pipe smoking contributed to this?
:puffpipe:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
More to do with heredity and exposure to strong UV from what I have read. Many old time blacksmiths suffered cataracts due to looking into the hot forge all day.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
More to do with heredity and exposure to strong UV
That's the way it works in my family.

Both of my parent's had cataracts, and neither of then ever wore UV inhibiting sun glasses.

My eye doctors have always just told me to wear UV inhibiting sun glasses when out of doors during the day light hours all year round... And, I do. So far,so good.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I just made this up so I have it on good authority... You can only get cataracts from smoking pipe IF your draw is too tight!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I thought that only caused crossed eyes... :D
Gecko... not to make light of your developments...

But, both parents had to wear glasses for most of their adult lives.

Now, "post cataract surgery" neither wear glasses at all... except for sunglasses.

Good luck!
icon_cool.gif

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
my grandmother is the only person in my family to develop cataracts (note: she is also the one that never smoked), and she wore bifocals most of her adult life. since she had the surgery she never wears glasses anyore and she is still kicking around at 87

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I had my first cataract in 2006 when I was 57 year old. I did not smoke anything at that time since I smoked a pipe for many years and quite for 18 years and resumed in 2011. I had my second cataract this year (2011). Cataracts have nothing to do with pipe smoking and everything to do with UV rays from the sun. Even sunglasses that do not wrap around the sides of your eyes leave you exposed to UV rays.
Good luck with your surgery(s). It is a snap and what a difference in your vision.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Thanks Hobie....that blasted right through those wrascally cataracts. I can see that clearly.....but I better follow up with my hands to be sure...after all, I have documented poor eyesight. Lol

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
cataracts are a normal thing that happens mostly with age. even one of my dogs has cataracts from diebetes and he is only four years old, but im going to have one of his cataracts removed the same way they do humans.

arinbjorn

Might Stick Around
Sep 14, 2011
I agree with UncleArthur, above. I'm lucky enough to know a thing or two about human anatomy and physiology from my job - and I think he hit the nail on the head. Most cataract stuff is determined by family genetics - and a small part is played by exposure to UV light, and bright light in general. Blacksmiths staring into a forge all of the time is actually a really good example.
IF the pipe plays a part at all, it is so small that it is pretty much negligable, IMO.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
My grandmother had cataracts and never smoked a day in her life.... I don't really think smoking had any impact on your's either.. just another example of trying to blame smoking for almost anything that ills you.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Your doctor is another of those Smoking Is Evil fools who blame everything on smoking. I don't know if I'd trust someone who makes false claims like that. I'm 64 and will be facing that type of surgery in a few yesrs. My doctor cited the reasons already given, plus my diabetes. If you were killed by being ran over by a bus, some doctors would say the cause was your pipe smoking.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
If you're lucky, and live in the right state, the doctor will prescribe green tobacco for your pipe to combat the cataracts. :mrgreen:
And thank you Hobie...I needed that. In fact, I need three of them, stat!

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
My family has a history of cataracts and only one person used any sort of tobacco product. I wouldn't believe pipe smoking had anything to do with yours for a second.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I think it's pseudo Medical Science BS. My Dad chain smoked (and I do mean CHAIN SMOKED) a pipe since he was a very young man and never developed cataracts. His study would have shamed any Blacksmith Forge any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.