PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do you have nicknames for your cats? Bella, our little black and white American shorthair stray, gets called Bella-bella (beautiful-beautiful in Italian I think, as well as Petunia and Pumpkin; our big Maine Coon rescue (not pedigree but looks it) Fred has white boots, bib, and elaborate stripes on face, sides, and tail, is called Sugar and Stripes; and his brother Lefty (previously Shaggy and Garland) is a round puffy Maine Coon looking boy who is called Cloud of Love. Lefty is gray, but shaded and faded into a variety of cream and lavender colors. Do you have equally or more adoring and weird names for your four-legged ones? Mark Twain named all his cats dark, negative names like Pestilence, Catastrophe, Perdition, and Misery, but he was so devoted to cats he would rent them for company when he was on tour. Hemingway famously said, "One cat leads to another." Ernest was a dangerous brawler when drunk, but he always treated his cats with respect.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
We have two cats, Puddles of Oblivion (Puddles for short) and Pickles. Puddles' nickname is El Chupacatbra, and we generally call Pickles "Nuke," which is short for NewKitty, since she's the relative newcomer. It's no wonder that cats don't know their names!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I rescued feral cats and kittens for a long time, turning them around as barn cats and sometimes pets. Finally I figured I had done my duty and got out of it. After awhile, you get strained for names. Some that come to mind: we had Hissy and Pissy, Catus Maximus and Maximus Catus ("Max"), Squirrel, Pumpkin, Carrot, Apple, Bonnie and Clyde, Casper, Samsun and Perique, and Pepe (l'pew).
As for dogs, we've been on a Harry Potter theme, having Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Minerva ("Mini"). It should be noted that "Mini" is in fact, like her siblings, a formidable GSD - the meanest of the bunch if provoked. We also, as is common in the South, had a stray pit mix roll up one day who stayed on. Mrs Perique fell in love and named her Grinny Wigglebutt, which is a whole other story... Generally she's a good dog. Dumber than a box of rocks but wonderful with small children, kittens, and puppies.
I'm currently pet-sitting a high-bred bird dog. One year old. In fact we were out at the pond retrieving tennis balls earlier this evening, It's a long story as to why I have him. But this dog has so much drive I'm torn between admiring him and killing him. Mostly, I would like to kill him. Sadly, he's worth too much to kill. So I'm stuck with a begrudging admiration.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have 3 dogs and they all have nicknames. The one in my avatar (he's a Gordon Setter) is named Cody, we call him "bug" most if the time and it's because ever since he was a pup he's had this fascination with all things insect. He eats bees even while they are stinging the inside of his mouth, he's a little crazy. We have a Yorkie named Bella, she gets "Bella-boo" from my wife and youngest daughter, I call her "boo". My good ole bird dog Storm (English Setter) gets called all kinds of names but mostly "you lazy slug". He's 11 and when he's not hunting which he does very well, he's in a coma.

Back to the first one, Cody will come whether we call that name or "bug".

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Goober & Stinky

s2I9tGNm.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My sixteen year old orange tabby cat is named "Orion" after the cat in Men in Black. However, he is often inlined to join me out in the shop while I smoke a pipe and he comes back in the house smelling of pipe smoke. So my wife now calls him "Smokey".
smokey_zpsuavl1tn2.jpg

Old Man Smokey in his "golden years"

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I have a Shepard/Husky mix. I call him booger more often then his name(Dante)

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Bailey is called a number of things. Sometimes B-Boy, Partner, Pal, Shithead.. :lol: He is the Alpha male, but sometimes gets put in his place..see below.
Demitri(I hardly call him that) its usually "DD", "D" or Wild Man. We also call him "The Enforcer". He will get aggressive with Bailey if he thinks he is being mean or doing something wrong.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
My first red leopard dog was a mixed breed between a patchwork Catahoula and a red hound. I got him off the Navajo reservation at Chinle, AZ and named him Chiricahua Jack, but called him CJack. He looked like an American Paint horse with his coloring. Had he been human he would have had an identity crisis for sure. But he sure was one great dog!

May 7, 2015
All of my cats have nicknames. Some are longer than their name. Oreo is Moe or Missy O, Scout is Pookie, Tommy is Bubba, O'Malley is Maladextrose or Maleware, Polly is Polynesia, Pocket is Bantha, Duckie is Duktari and Kiddie is Kee-Kee.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
My old Bull Mastiff's full name was Prozac but often got shortened to just "Zak". My wife is wanting to get a cat and I already know that as a "not a cat person" I will be nicknaming the damn thing "shithead". lol

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This is my 13.5 year old flame point Himalayan whose name is Lady. She is better know as "Her Majesty". Despite the picture she weighs in at just under 9 pounds.
Lady%20by%20Snowman_zps8iuxlfag.jpg
[/url][/img]
And, yes, she is as friendly as she looks.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Rutherford Otis and Solomon Oliver, collectively referred to as the "Sons of Thunder" due to their noisily running around the house and then "CRASH"!
Individually referred to as Otie and Ollie.
Cats.jpg

Jun 4, 2014
We have two cats Milo and Fernando. Milo doesn't really have a nickname, he is my shadow following me around sitting on my lap jumping up on my work bench when I'm in my shop. Fernando on the other had we call him "Fatty" because he is always hungry, he even begs like a dog when you are cooking or eating.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
7 cats total...
Porthos (we have a habit of naming our orange tabbies after Musketeers) is also known as "Ridiculously Photogenic Cat", "Mister Foozy", and occasionally "Lord Fluffypants".
His sister, Grainne (named after an Irish pirate queen)(also an orange tabby - girls are rare) is known as "Grace" (Grainne, translated from the Irish) or "Princess Grace".
Our brown tabby boy, Neil Purrt (his brothers, Geddy and Alex, were fosters that we placed - but we bonded with Neil) is also known as "Mister Stripy" or "Thunderpurr". Also "Squeaky", as he's got a tiny little mew for such a muscular bruiser of a tomcat...
Our brown tabby girl, Dahlia (fostered with us long term - she was brought in late, and was right on the edge of being too old to foster/adopt), is also known as "Miss Fuzzybelly", as she's finally loosened up enough to show us her belly from time to time instead of hiding under things and hissing at anyone who gets too close.
The calico girl, Kilala (wicked smart, utterly fearless) is also known as "Escher Cat" for her habit of squirming up the stairs as if gravity just shifted 90 degrees...
The smokey tortoiseshell girl, Tova, is also known as "Soft Kitty" or "Miss Rabbitfur" - her coat is amazingly soft.
The youngest orange tabby boy, Aramis (see note above re: Musketeers) is also known as "Mister Skittish" and "Pee Monster". He has territorial issues that we're working on, both with medication and just getting the poor guy to relax. These last 3 were originally foster kitties on a short-term, emergency basis - but after taking them back to the office for an adoption display (we'd decided to adopt Kilala...), we got a call that Tova and Aramis were just not doing well - cowering in their cage, refusing to eat, etc., so we wound up adopting all three... Two have since adjusted nicely.
Still, we placed more kitties than we kept, so our fostering (now over) was successful... :D

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I have had animals most my life with fairly simple names but my off beat nihbors of 15 years win the prize. When we first moved in they had a big pit mix they called DeeOhGee or thats what I heard the first year, took me that long to realize they were just saying D, O and G. So you shouldnt laugh when I tell your there cats name....Mr. Kitty. Real deep thinkers.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Here's our dog, a larger size Chihuahua at about 16lbs. whose name is Idgee, which is short for Idgit. We never call him Idgit for some reason, and call him Idgee all the time, which he answers to. But in the last few years my wife started calling him Peewee or Peeweechee, and of course I followed suit, and he answers to those too now.

I can never tell whose crazier, him or us!

dsc_0001-402x600.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
We have an awesome black lab named Roxy. Not sure when or why but I started calling her Roxy doo da. That faded away but now we all regularly call her Doofy and Dooey and sometimes even Roxy. She will come to or respond to all three names. She's such a good girl. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.