Castleford & PipNet Reamer - Side by Side Comparison (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I was gifted a PipNet Reamer by a good friend who also restores pipes (samcoffeeman you're aces!). A lovely gesture which provides me with the chance to share a side by side comparison with you folks.

I've only ever used the Castleford Reamer. When I started doing restoration work I read as much as I could on reamers and which offered the most control. The PipNet Reamer was well reviewed by many, including here by Steve Laug http://rebornpipes.com/2012/05/31/my-choices-in-pipe-reamers-a-review-6/ and it came out on top. My problem was access, when I was building up my kit I couldn't find one. So I opted for a Castleford Reamer set. I liked that it had four fixed blade heads, that it was unlikely to slip and seemed to afford some control.

I've used my Castleford Reamer for over 70 pipe restorations, and it was coming to the end of its life. So not only was this spontaneous gift a surprise, it was a fortuitous one. The problem with my Castleford set was that the plastic which is used to make both the reamer and the handle is soft and it wears down. Two of my three reamer heads for the Castleford are so stripped now, that they won't stay in the handle. The PipNet does indeed seem to be of a stronger/sturdier acrylic than the softer plastic of the Castleford.

Here is a closeup of one of the reamer blades from my Castleford. You can see the wear in the centre and on the edges of the toothless side of the blade which is inserted into the handle.

Aside from the material difference, the blades of the PipNet are thicker, and one sided. There is definitely more material in the blades of the PipNet, and the mass of the blade seems to make for a smoother cut through cake. The thinner steel blades of the Castleford blades seem to catch on cake more easily.

The other piece that I like about the PipNet Reamer is the extra length in the handle. It affords just a little more purchase and mechanical advantage.

I look forward to the next 70 pipes with the PipNet, and will report back on how it performs. But if the first seven are any indication it and I are going to be long friends.
-- Pat

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Nice review Pat! I'm still pleased with my Castleford, but I'm curious to see how your PipNet holds out. Keep us posted.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been meaning to get either one of those. I have a Senior Reamer but one of those will make a good addition. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I've been meaning to get either one of those. I have a Senior Reamer but one of those will make a good addition. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Perhaps Sam will let us know where he found the PipNet reamer online. All I can tell you was that the package shipped from Portugal!
-- Pat

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I was just online trying to see the difference between the two when I came across this post. Very good comparison, though one thing I would add is that (from what I've found on eBay) the Castleford is about $25, and the Pipnet is on average $70.
For a newbie like me who isn't really sure how many pipes I'll be working on, I'm getting the Castleford. If it lasts me 70 pipes, I'll be happy. :D

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice review. Thanks for posting. I have my home made reamers that work well. I haven't chewed a pipe up with them yet, but I've been meaning to get a real kit.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nice comparison! I've used both,and the Pipnet is for me the clearly superior product. The Castleford is a cheap Chinese knockoff with iffy quality control. When I used one of the Castleford blades on one of the pipes I was restoring, it gouged the chamber wall! Upon inspection I discovered that the blade was faulty and that there was a bit of metal that extended beyond the proper edge of the blade. I've used my Pipnets for many years and they continue to do an excellent job after MUCH more than 70 bowls.

If you choose Castleford, inspect the blades carefully.

brashboy

Lurker
Jul 30, 2014
Great post and great thread! This is why I go on forums, laddies.
The Swiss-made Pipnet set is $64 at smokingpipes.com and can be had low as $60 sometimes on the bay and different places.
The ones labeled Pipnet but black in color and going for around $20 do seem to be Castlefords. One site calls their reamer "Pipnet by Castleford," so be warned. OTOH, I have seen at least one set in black plastic clearly logo'ed as Pipnet on the handle and in a Pipnet-style box.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I mostly use a Kleen Reem and the spey blade of a small Case stockman knife, but I started out using a Castleford set. I have found that the Castleford blades are too soft and tend to "roll" or otherwise deform. I now use my Castleford set when cutting very thick cake, and only after that cake has been thoroughly softened by olive oil. I plan to buy a PipNet in the near future.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Looks the same to me.
That is the insidiousness of the Chinese knockoff.
In addition to the differences already noted, one should consider that the PipNet has four separate blades rather than the three of the Castleford. I would think that the PipNet design allows more accurate positioning of the blades.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It really depends what you're doing with it. A proper Senior reamer ( beware of the ones with cast blades, they are dull and just rub the cake ) will do a more precise job, and is also useful for fine-tuning previous troubled areas in the chamber.

I prefer to use a modified oyster knife and various sanding sticks, but then again I do this stuff for a living, literally. I could probably ream a chamber with a spoon handle at 2 am in my sleep.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
You're most welcome, mephistopheles!
Methinks for casual use, unless you start restoring, the Senoir will suffice to keep cake trimmed. Start from the bottom of the chamber and work your way up.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
rcstan, I wish that when I was new to reaming pipes someone had advised me to start at the bottom of the chamber. I eventually learned to start there, but much trial and error could have been avoided. Additionally, I am glad to hear an experienced restorer admit to using a knife to trim cake. Do you find a sharp blade better than a dull one?
I now also do a lot of sanding to get cakes reduced and even. The work is messier, but more precise.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yes interesting post. I have a castleford as well, but I use a variety of tools and reamers. Including a solid metal set that Briarblues donated to the FPP.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
using a knife
A modified Oyster knife
10080.jpg

Sharpened as needed, and the tip is rounded blunt. Find the proper angle, and turn the bowl whilst holding the blade steady. Obviously, it wouldn't work on hard cake that has cemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.