PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
This should be an interesting discussion. Castello vs Dunhill around the same price point which is a better smoker? Let the battle begin gentleman.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Actually not much of a battle. Some like Castello and some like Dunhill, but since I own zero Italian pipes.....Dunhill. I've never owned a Castello, but the 10 Dunhills I own have never let me down.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
@ Jp that was the safest answer i have ever heard sir. Well played, well played. Crisis diverted. lol

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
@ Phil: Shots fired! And waiting for the first return volley...

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
@ Jp: Your answer is like when someone asks me, "Chevy or Ford?" My diplomatic answer, "I honestly think they are the same. I buy Ford because I have had better luck with them." lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As near as i can tell, you get a heavier pipe with a larger bowl at any price point comparison with a Castello. Also, they are different "animals." I think you want to decide what kind of a pipe you want, then the question will answer itself.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I have 4 Costello all great smokers. I have three dunhill cracked stem needed band. Bent billiard cracked bowl third no trouble. Shel

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I love my Castellos. I love my Dunhills. I'm hard pressed to choose between them. If you held a gun on me, I'd say I prefer the aesthetics of the Dunhills, but dollar for dollar, I think the Castello uses better briar. You need one of each for your own experimentation. Then you can decide which path to pursue.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Presently I do own both and have smoked both extensively. But Castello gets my vote on this question -- better briar gives a sweeter smoke :puffy:
Yet I do love pipes with more heft in the bowl. Thus I like the way my Cavicchis smoke even more than my Castellos.

Oct 7, 2016
Castellos purchased on eBay are extraordinarily poor smokers and the vendors who peddle them are all crooks. In fact that is also true of Radices and Ser Jacapos. And don't get me started on the theiving sellers of Il Ceppos and Mastro de Paja's. It is a wonder that any buyer of an Italian pipe on eBay has a tongue left to relate the experience. Of course, you would have to go to the poorhouse to find them.
You might luck into a decent Dunhill on eBay. Even a blind hog can find an acorn now and then. But it will be grossly overpriced. If you frequent eBay, stick to French and Danish pipes. If you must have an Italian pipe, go to a pipe shop, where you know you will only be slightly gouged.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
14718589_1219550044772965_2891852202421894156_n.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
They're both good lines of pipes. I like my Castellos, mostly the Dunhills went into the drawer when I started smoking Barlings, though there are several that I still smoke. But why not include Ser Jacopo or Upshall, maybe Charatan or Radice? Then there's Ardor, Kaywoodie, Sasieni, Stanwell, Savinelli, Ashton, Ferdnown, Caminetto, Bauer, GBD, BBB, and LSMFT? And leave us not forget MM cobs which, along with the aforementioned brands, smoke as well as any other pipe.

Oct 7, 2016
If I have not made myself clear, the removal of Italian and better British briar from eBay is a job left to a few professionals.Most of you should stick to French and Danish pipes. It is demanding, exhausting work, but someone has to do it. I successfully removed a Castello from circulation this afternoon, and, bloodied but unbowed, am recharging to do battle once more tomorrow. Pure public service.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
In my opinion it is based pipe to pipe. I prefer British pipes to the Italians right now, so for me it would be Dunhill of the two. I would actually pick other British makers such as Ferndown, Askwith, Ashton and Ser Jacopo, Mastro de Paja, and Don Carlos for the Italians over Dunhill and Castello.

Status
Not open for further replies.